My Discus from Ron (Discusguru)

LYNDYLOO

Tell me Ron, I had a comment from my cousin the other day, he keeps Marine Fish, he commented on how fast my Discus where breathing, can you give me any idea as to how many breaths they should be taking a minute, bit of a weird question I know, but this does have me abit concerned :-?

Do you have an airstone?

The oxygen levels could be too low

OK, I've popped an Airstone in my Discus Tank, as it was thought maybe they are breathing fast because of the lack of Oxygen :roll:

Hmm :o

:roll: They're not at all Happy about this, all they have done over the last 2 days is hide at the back of the Tank :o

Everytime they see something move now, they seem to FREAK OUT and swim around the Tank like Crazy hitting into things :roll:

Will they get used to it or do you guys think I should remove it?

Is there a need for an Airstone, when I'm doing 3 x 70% Water Changes a week?? Not sure if that's a Dumb Question or not :oops:

Do you have an airstone?

The oxygen levels could be too low

marine fish and freshies have completely different systems of respiration, because marines need to take in water to excrete all that salt, whereas freshies need to get rid of a bit of water. If your cousin only keeps marines then that might account for the difference

Darkfur: I did think maybe it had something to do with the Higher Temps that Discus are kept in, I'm sure marine Fishys aren't kept in Temps of 29-30.

Thanks for the Idea with the Airstone darkfur, I have it right down now, will see how that goes.

Phoenix: I dont run the Spray Bar in the Tank, I run it through the lid where the Inbuilt Tank Filter would normally be running through.

I have the Spray Bar attached to the Canister Filter.

ok. is it possible to run the water out pipe directly into the tank?

if you can, just take the air pipe, without the stone, and keep it near, under the outlet of the filter. Hope that makes sense.. that should work a charm.

discus don't mind airstones, or bubbles... but they don't really like change, lol.. so this is new for them and may freak them out a bit, but they will be fine.

I've decided to leave the Spray Bar where it is at them moment, which it running through the top of where the Tank Inbuilt Filter is, if I just pop the airstone tubing into the Outlet pipe, that should have the same effect, shouldn't it, without having to move the spray bar into the Tank??