Other Betta's?

SamH

I was looking through one of my fish books when I saw all the different types of Betta's. Theres a big 3 page spread on the Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta splendens) but there were also a few profiles on the lesser known Betta's. These look really cool and different, especially the Slim Betta.

Does anyone know of other Betta's in NZL?

E.G, Slim Betta (Betta bellica), Wine Red Betta (Betta coccina), Crescent Betta (Betta imbellis), etc.

Thanks

I don't think HFF has them now but I have seen some around this year. They have like a dark circle on their sides and don't particularly look like fighters (imo anyway). I seem to remember they were called something else.

If my memory serves me right, they also had Betta Simorum in at one time.

I don't know what happened to them, and don't know if they are still around. (but would like to know now that I have the tankspace ;) )

Also, I thought I had taken a pic of my claret bettas when I had them, but if I did it must be on my folks computer. (it's been a while since owning them)

Thanks Dixon, that was a good thread. :)

If anyone sees any other Betta's in Auckland, could they please contact me?

I'm super keen on them and would like to get my hands on some. :D

And how do I go about importing fish? Is it worth the hassle or should I just ask my LFS?

Thanks

Thanks Dixon, that was a good thread. :)

If anyone sees any other Betta's in Auckland, could they please contact me?

I'm super keen on them and would like to get my hands on some. :D

And how do I go about importing fish? Is it worth the hassle or should I just ask my LFS?

Thanks

Excellent - I couldn't find the thread.

Importing - costs an arm and a leg and then they have to survive the quarantine period!

Ask you lfs to look at the importers lists and ask them to order one if you like it. They get an updated list regularly of what is coming in. Now when I think about it I may have seen the others on list I looked at about 3 weeks ago.