whiteworms, grindell worms, microworms

Alienara

for peace of mind I think I'd rather buy a starter culture .

At least i would know it's free from any harmful garden microorganisms or leached chemicals.

BuT I am going to grow my own mozzie larvae in summer! I'll Put out a bucket and I'm sure they'll find it! Then I'll rinse before feeding.

Put a bucket out now I'm still getting some mozzies and some little blood worms.

just found out that bloodworms are not actually worms... T.T possible to create a culture?

The easiest way is to get a starter from someone and I don't think you would find any in you garden.

Do you mine driving out west to get one?

how far out west are you though? i highly doubt i would mind coming over to pick it up but that would be in a few months time. thanks for the offer mate.

just found out that bloodworms are not actually worms... T.T possible to create a culture?

have a look at the Hollywood special prices as although they arnt live, for the price, its hardly worth the effort in growing the small numbers that you would produce

have a look at the Hollywood special prices as although they arnt live, for the price, its hardly worth the effort in growing the small numbers that you would produce

I only have live ones because the just turn up in my mozzy bucket.

try burying a spud just under the soil in your garden or around your compost...apparintly it will attract whiteworms. Let me know how you get on ive been meaning to try this :D

I know ive got whiteworms in my compost but not sure if theyre just natures own or some from me dumping old cultures near by.

safest/easy method is to just fork out a few dollars to get some cultures sent to you.

You should be able to find free grindal/whiteworm/micro starters from a fish keeper around you :) To me it is one of the things that we as fish keepers should just give away, it always seems that I kill one of my cultures off and need to rely on others to get them going again so the more people that have them the better..

I normally keep Micros going all the time for exact that reason. I normally have 3 to 5 going at any time and they are ready to use(must redo some this weekend)

I try to have 4 Grindles going as well but WW just are not firing for me at the moment

A potato with a 1cm hole through the middle and under ground for a week should get you a starter culture of microworms. Need to wash the mud and worms out of the hole with water and then start your porridge culture.

Never had to try it as I have never not had microworms but its supposed to work.

But totally agree with the above comments. Worms or any live food that can be grown in abundance shouldnt be sold.

i paid $5 for my micros on *that site*, but that was with free postage and some little swipey things to pick them up, i think it was a good deal. When you live in the middle of nowhere and any sort of fish food is twice the price of auckland, its handy having them arrive in the post.