which short foreground plants are available in NZ?

Dave+Amy

hey guys,

I'm wanting to aquascape my deep Angel tank and wanting some foreground plants but I'm bored of glosso...anubias don't grow fast enough...lighting will probably be 10,000K growlux or near, waterchange aiming for twice a week at the most..so they won't be that disturbed.

could people let me know what other kinds of foreground plants are available here?

or PM me if you have some for sale

Cheers

Most of the small foreground plants need good light. It is a bad time of the year for buying plants as most are grown emersed and don't do well at this time of year. Some that might be available would be: Glossostigma elatinoides; Echinodorus tenellus tenellus, tenellus latifolius,tenellus parvula, quadricostatus, horizontalis, parviflorus "tropica", schluteri leopard; Sagittaria microfolia (does not grow much taller than 50mm). There was also a shorter variety of hairgrass ( Eleocharis) but I have not seen it in years; Cryptocoryne nevilii nevilii; Hydrocotyle verticillata. I have some of the above but not available for sale at this time of year.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if there is such a thing as dwarf sag... My sag was instilled about four years ago now and was sold to me as dwarf sag; it promptly grew to about 12 inches but did very well nonetheless.

front2.jpg

More recently it's been keeping pretty low but still grows up tall occasionally. If I had to guess, I'd equate the dwarf form with higher nitrate concentrations. When I bump up the KNO3 I believe the sag stays low, if I back it off it tends to grow taller. I think it's more to do with the conditions than any particular cultivar, but that's just my theory... :lol:

We're currently going through a dwarf period...

_MG_2197.jpg

Nice tank. The smaller Sag is microfolia. I grow it emersed so in this weather it is struggling to survive. I have put a bit out there and someone may have some available grown submersed. There was some for sale on trademe a few months back. Most people don't seem to be aware of the advantages of the stuff. It stays low and looks a bit like E. tenellus latifolius but requires less light. Blue light may keep your S. subulata short.

• 2 months later...