Frog Tank heating??

phrog

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of designing a golden bell frog terrarium/paludarium and I need to know whether the frogs need a heat and/or UV source. Also if anyone has any ideas on the substrates and the substrate drainage (and any other set up requirements), please give me thoughts and ideas.

Cheers

you dont need to have a heater its can be useful to help breed them or for certain tropical plants u mite want to grow. as far as uv light goes ideally u should have some source(tho not as important as with turtle/reptiles) a cheap alternative is a 20 or 50w halogen globe with the glass in the end removed as this will put out a small amount of UV. the key with UV light is to remember UV doesnt travel well thru glass so if ur light is above a glass lid you may as well not have a UV bulb. for a substrate on the land part of the setup you can use seedraising mix or just garden dirt(if u know its safe) dont use potting mix as it contains fertiliser .

• 1 month later...

In my new golden bell tank I am using coir/coco fiber as the land substrate as it is completly safe to frogs, if they ingest it it does not hurt them at all. It is also an awsome plant medium

if you want to grow live plants in your tank. Its really cheap if you chosse it for a substrate just go on trade me and search "amazing plant medium"

I just use aquarium pebbles as the substrate, seems to be ok as the frogs produce enough waste to keep the plants going. I use the gravel like a UG filter and the plants suck up all the nutrients really well. I purchase regular baby plants at the redshed and rinse the roots off well under the tap, then plant them. Maybe I am just lazy?

I don't think frogs really need heating as they live fine outdoors so indoors is probably more than warm enough. My whistlies never seem to want to hibernate so I daresay they are cozy. The lighting warms things up anyway. I just use an LED light which is part of an indoor fountain I dismantled (you saw my thread anyway). You can take the glass out to let more UV through if necessary.

i find bright lighting really brings out the colour of golden bells, and helps a nice jungle develope for them to play in.

heating helps them to be very active, but watch that you have enough food for your hot frogs.

spoon

how do you remove the cover glass from your halogens and do you mean 20w spots or 500w floodlights?

i find bright lighting really brings out the colour of golden bells, and helps a nice jungle develope for them to play in.

heating helps them to be very active, but watch that you have enough food for your hot frogs.

spoon

how do you remove the cover glass from your halogens and do you mean 20w spots or 500w floodlights?

spotlights like this

http://www.nzlightingltd.co.nz/shop/Bul ... Titan.html

the round glass cover is a uv filter you can smash it out carefully