water clarity problem

si_sphinx

• 2 months later...
What do you mean about keeping the water 'clear'? Do you see particles floating in the water, or is the water just generally cloudy? Also (like Romeo said) is the water milky-cloudy or green-cloudy? The problems are caused by different things.

What is the cause / fix for this one whetu (or others)

At times i think I can see particles like dust etc in the 1/5 of my tank.

If you can see stuff in the water then you may need more, or different, filtration or a more frequent maintenance regimen. Not all filters are good at getting rid of floating particles.

Those with bigger, messier, fish are more likely to have this problem.

You could add more filtration to your tank (as in another filter in addition to the one you already have, or a different filter that will put through more litres per hour) and/or add some finer filter media to the last stage of filtration. If you're already using the white filter wool, make sure none of the water is able to bypass it and avoid the final physical filtration.

Some people go all-out and get water polisher-type arrangements, which use very, very fine filtration as the last stage, and other people use chemicals that clump the fine particles together (but then they will just drop to the bottom of the tank in clumps - you still have to filter them out somehow).

Also consider your substrate. Obviously finer substrate is more easily stirred up and there's going to be more of it suspended in the water than a heavier, coarser substrate.

After saying all that, you really need to decide if it's worth the effort of trying to fix it! I mean if you're serious about photographing your tanks and entering contests then you might be prepared to put the effort in, but personally I can't be bothered! :lol:

OK Here comes the Backlash phoenix :lol:

I used Carbon in my Discus Tank, it didn't make any difference that I could see, ended up taking it out, for the Simple reason being, if I ever needed to Treat with Meds, then I would have to muck around and take the carbon out everytime I treated the Tank.

Tank seems to be clear now :D not sure why, maybe it just needed abit of time to settle down, after I installed the New CF1200.

Thanks Whetu - Yeah i am not all that bothered by it but I do think the in the hood filter that came with the tank is a bit lacking really. Possibly a second filter to supplement it would be a good idea anyway. Not sure what to use though. Maybe a small internal filter and put it the opposite corner to the existing filter pickup. Seems heaps of cheap options on trademe but wonder if any of them are actually any good.

In the meantime, I will check the seals around the filterwool to ensure that water cant pass around it without being subject to the filtering process.