Leeches? Flukes?

sharn

Hi all, we have a choc ghost knife at work who has some quite wierd creatures on him at present. They have been there a while and are increasing slowly. They are approx 5mm long, 1mm wide and white (not see thru), like a super elongated oval- very much a leech shape. Some of them look to have a 'head' buried in its body yet others dont. They dont wipe off, you have to scratch with your fingernail and they do feel quite hard, the whole thing seems to be holding on quite securely, they arent dangling off. They are easy to squash and just turn into mush without any hard casing or anything. They dont seem to be bothering him nor do any of the other fish have them.

I have googled fish flukes and leeches and they dont seem to look much like these do.

Would a course of acriflavine or copper be the way to go?

you have to be very careful if you use a copper derivative like CuSO4 etc.

can you post a pic of these things please? its hard to provide possible solutions without knowing for sure what you are dealing with.

have you tried salt?

Will try to get one on monday.

Havent tried salt yet, i figured a salt dose strong enough that would hurt whatever is on him is probably going to hurt him too seeing as he's scaleless? Might give it a shot just incase though :)

ive found they are pretty ok with salt. (ive had bgk's and the browns who were fine with it).

if you had to, i would remove and isolate the fish. put him in a shallow container, take a syringe with saline soln in it, and put some on the external "what ever they are" drop by drop.

again, and i can't stress this enough - this method is what is used on larger animals. so ill wait for those pics.

otherwise you can use normal parasite medication that is used for fish. PM Ron, "discusguru" and ask him what he uses for parasites.

I would probably do the salt too. Do it in a bath weak solution first, watch the fish leave it in there for half an hour or so or take it out immediately if it starts looking bad.. I think the theory is that the bugs are more affected by the salt than the fish and they should die. Increase the salt dose until it works, I think you will have the same issues with all meds you might use for treating this as you would with salt as the fish are scale less..