Swollen Eyes RES

debs01

Please please help

Today I had a RES turtle re-homed to live with me. I currently have two RES of my own that are healthy and gorgeous!!

However this wee girl is not so well, her owner was a teenage boy who loved her dearly but has gone to boarding school she has gotten sick and his mother has done a lot to try and get help for her but really didn't want her in the first place.

So a wee bit of history, 3 months ago Munch started showing signs of sickness she developed swollen eyes. She was taken to the vets and given antibiotics. She didn't respond. She got sicker, 6 weeks ago she was again taken to a different vet. At this time she was given a course of antibiotics to be injected again she didn't respond and now is a lot sicker.

I now have her and believe her to be suffering from a vitamin A deficiency, her shell is bright yellow and her eyes are very swollen so the question is what do I treat her with and how

DSCN1360.jpg

good thread here

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=37055&start=90

I've been putting off writing...but Speedy is at the vet and will be euthanased in the morning and then an autopsy done. :cry:

On a brighter note, yesterday Georgia was able to move her eyelids a little. Still hasn't opened them but you can see the iris thru the corner of each eye as she moves her third eyelid etc. So thats taken 9 days so far since the Vit A injection. Also 'boy two' has developed a layer of thin, bone-white plaque over the areas of exposed bone. As this has been slowly debrided off there is now a layer of 'skin' that has formed over the bone undeneath. All looking very good for him and his mate. Shells beginning to harden and both are basking and eating well. :D

Its been a long haul with Speedy, and he certainly made small gains, but would then not look so good. To me, he's now slipped back to about the same level he was in the first few days I had him, so this is the kindest thing for him now. :)

Yep thats exactly what Georgias looked like. :( Its a vit A deficiency and is usually misdiagnosed and treated with ABs which wont work. Needs a good dose of Vit A by injection. If the vet needs to know dosages they could email Ross at [email protected]

Pm me if they want his ph number :) Diet is crucial to prevent it happening again. Georgia had been living on those dried shrimps and little else...which is like a toddler living on ice-cream. Try and introduce plenty of good quality turtle food...a mix of wet and dry, along with the good old Ox heart and veges. It is completely reversible if treated with Vit A I believe. Hope that helps. :D

Thank you so much for responding in here.

I am also very concerned about the state of Munch's shell, but for now will try and focus on one thing at a time.

I live in rural central otago so what do you think I should do with her right now, she isn't moving much at all and only wants to bask. How long can I dry dock her??

While I do own two healthy turtles this is my first serious experience with one so sick. So please, step me through what I should do if you don't mind?? Where should she be right now etc....

At the moment I have her in a plastic tub lined with a towel under a lamp, her container is about 26 degrees and she isn't moving much at all. Any advice would be so appreciated!!

Sometimes the antibiotics can make them feel a bit yuk as well. :( Sounds Ok to dry dock her like that over nite, but she really needs to be swimming around and trying to access good food as often as poss as well. She may take along time to find it and you may want to leave her on her own when feeding to give her a chance. If she had any pneumonia or anything the Abs would probably have dealt to that. May just be still due to the blindness. I'd try and normalise as much as poss with having her in warm tank, feeding plenty etc. and just dry dock at nite if you want to. I didnt dry dock Georgia for very long as she was better in the tank and would find the ramp and rest on it. Vit A deficiency isnt contagious either. Definately need to get Vit A into her ASAP tho. And be patient. It can take 2 -4 weeks to notice any change at all. Some info I have from a vet book on Vit A deficiency says symptoms may include lethargy, anorexia, weight loss and nasal or occular discharge. Chronic blepharedema (swollen eyes) can also see solid whitish-yellow cellular debris underneath the eyelids. May be one or both eyes affected. As shes had it awhile she will need a bit of time to get over it. The book also talks about fat soluble vit A is better then water soluble. A subcutaneous inj. of 500 to 5000 IU/Kg of Vit A for one or two treatments 2 weeks apart. May take up to 4 weeks to rectify. Hope that helps... :D

It really does, thank you so much for your advice, I really am very grateful and now much more hopeful that she may recover!!

Although you may live to regret being so knowledgeable with me, lol.

I will have heaps of questions for you as we go.

I will be getting in touch with a vet in town in the morning and getting the vitamin A asap!!

any idea why her shell would be bright yellow and not very healthy, would that be part of her deficiency?

Also hubby tells me he noticed earlier that when she was in the water the floated on a strange angle :-?

Also watch shes warm enough in the plastic tub. A cardboard box may be better? When dry docking I use a foam cat box thingy (check out photo in sick turtle thread) or a cardboard box with towels underneath and towel loosely folded on top. Her eyes may well be sensitive to the light? 8) So by a warm night store heater or a cylander cupboard or heat pump (watch shes not in a draft) may be better. :D

No worries, ask away any questions, theres lots of knowledge on the forum :bounce:

mmm strange floating is usually respiratory. :( Is she still on ABs? One I had with yellowy shell was too full of pus to survive...but she'd been pulled out of a stream and was incredibly sick. So lets get the Vit A (and D too) injection, keep her on Abs and don't have her in water as much as I initially said. Also would pay to have it shallow so she can drink, poo etc and not use too much energy trying to climb out of water or swim. But she needs to be able to rehydrate so does need to be in water during the day. Some theories say only an hour a day, but that has apparently shown to be insufficient to rehydrate. See how she goes. 2 hours at a time, 2 or 3 times a day may be OK. If shes not managing, cut it back a bit. Really needs to be in warm air and water temp...as consistant as possible. 27 will be fine as shes sick. Cover her eyes with the towel and use the light then for warmth.Definately a good chance of survival tho, so dont despair...but you will need to be patient :D

she just finished the AB's 5 days ago, these ones were delivered by injection once a day for 7 days.

I will post some pics of her shell in the morning but for now, I have her in her warm box and have all my fingers and toes crossed, she still has a bit of strength and fight about her so I am now hopeful. Hopefully I can do something for her!!

the strange floating is because they get a fatty liver if they have a vit a deficiency. I had one of these years ago before there was good turtle food around and had to give her codliver oil enemas. They don't feel like eating if they can't see. It definitely sounds like a deficiency to me. You may well have to force feed her, best of luck. PS my turtle recovered but always floated wonky. And always resented me for the enemas lol! If you can get her to snap you can eyedropper c.l.o into her mouth. Haven't had turtles for years I imagine there may be better/easier treatments out there, but c.l.o will work

the strange floating is because they get a fatty liver if they have a vit a deficiency. I had one of these years ago before there was good turtle food around and had to give her codliver oil enemas. They don't feel like eating if they can't see. It definitely sounds like a deficiency to me. You may well have to force feed her, best of luck. PS my turtle recovered but always floated wonky. And always resented me for the enemas lol! If you can get her to snap you can eyedropper c.l.o into her mouth. Haven't had turtles for years I imagine there may be better/easier treatments out there, but c.l.o will work

sound um......delightful!!

She has started treatment for a vitamin a deficiency and ate a small amount yesterday. She is still very unwell and very underweight apparantly but we are hopeful.

Debs is very busy with sick turtle, so thought I'd update.. :D

Munch is yellow in colour as when she got sick, and eyes were swollen the previous owners consulted a pet shop. They were told to put iodine in the water...so the iodine has stained the shell bright yellow... :o

Not sure what it might have done to the turtles insides when she drank it tho. :-?

Still eating a bit and having multivite injections etc.

Lots of work with a sick turtle...

Good on you Debs for taking Munch on and taking good care of her :bounce: :bow: