uaru

Benny

Your out of luck Ira. I walked into animates and asked them about these 2 little cichlids in with some africans. The guy said they are triangle cichlids, but didnt know anything else about them. So I got the two and he gave them to me as assorted cichlids at $19 each. Uarus are usually about $50 each.

You see sometimes small places get unusual fish that they know very little about. like do you know the place in Tawa? they had a fire eel not so long ago.

Hmmm...Tawa...Fins and Fangs or something like that? Pretty nice place, but they've got the worst location of anything in the wellington area. I haven't been there in somewhere around a year because it's just impossible to get a parking spot within a reasonable distance most of the time. They're the ones with that ENORMOUS tank sitting in the middle of their fish area aren't they? I'd love a tank like that, hehehehe.:) Speaking of Animates, was in there today, they've got a little jack dempsey in one of their display tanks. I've never seen one in person before, I never realised they looked so much like a type Geophagus.

I'd be willing to pay $50 for an Uaru, definitely. I'm going to be paying Fee $40 for a pictus(Well, Wifey is paying), an Uaru would easily be worth $10 more than that. I've wanted one for ages, but have never even seen the vaguest mention of them and thought they'd be one of the many fish I want that aren't available here, like shelldwellers.

I didn't watch him for too long, he just hid behind a rock most of the time I was watching him.

Hmmm, I'm seriously tempted to call them. But as it is my tank will be a bit overcrowded once I get the 3 new fish I'm planning on getting. And I can't get a bigger tank because I don't have any room at all for a bigger one.:(

Actually the $19 is about right for the little Uarus currently available.

Brian at the Goldfish Bowl (Hamilton) still has a few (I think) - around the $19-$20 mark (he knows what they are aswell).

last time I was at wet pets less than a week ago they had some. I think that they were $40 but not 100% sure. They were probably about twice the size of the ones that Brian at the Goldfish Bowl (Hamilton) had. So I guess double the size, double the price is about right? The ones at wet pets also had lost most of that browny colouration they seem to have when they are really small and were more green in colour. Give them a ring (ask for Chris or Eric, they know what they are doing).

Mine have nearly all lost their juvenile colours. I paid about $30.00 for each fish and bought all ten at once at about 50mm size.

They now range from 100-140mm in size so are about 1/2 grown in length. All but 2 have lost their juvenile colours. I don't know how old they need to be to breed, but it took about 3 years from hatching for one of my friends Uara's to start pairing off. He had 12 Uara, and ended up with 4 pairs - lucky.

It is best to keep Uara as a group, I wouldn't recommend getting just one.

• 2 years later...