shrimp

angel obsessed

Shrimp can be acclimatised according to at least one member on here, who claims to have kept a few of the hardier ones at 26°c for a few years. Though you'd need to get a large number, and slowly bring them up to temp over a period of days/weeks. I've looked around CHCH streams/rivers without much luck, so I'd suggest you look in streams/rivers/lake outflows that are closer to the sea. Oh, and if you find some flick me a PM ;P.

You can find glass shrimp at new brighton, in the swamp area by the yacht club (north of the bridge), I go there regularly to catch shrimp for my seahorses :)

No1 - I never knew there were ghost shrimp there! And Ive lived here all my life! I used to go "cockabillying" at that river when I was younger. Used to lay on that rock that juts out a bit (sth of bridge) and hold a plastic shopping bag under the water until they went in, then yanked them out! lol. Random!

No2 - You have seahorses?? Do you need a licence or something for those?

N03 - So the shrimp they sell at animates in with all the freshwater tropical fish arent supposed to be in there? Why the hell do petshops misguide people so much!!! I have bumblebee gobies in freshwater. Had them for 9+months. bought them as 'freshwater' and they have been living in my freshwater tank happy as. Wierd.

N03 - So the shrimp they sell at animates in with all the freshwater tropical fish arent supposed to be in there? Why the hell do petshops misguide people so much!!! I have bumblebee gobies in freshwater. Had them for 9+months. bought them as 'freshwater' and they have been living in my freshwater tank happy as. Wierd.

Happy as? Nope; they won't breed in FW, and they won't grow as big or as fast. They'll survive, but it's like the difference between you living in a polluted country and you living somewhere with clean air - you'll survive, but you wont thrive. I'd recommend you move them into BW or rehome them. It's not really fair to keep them in FW.

I think you raise a good point; many fish shops don't know/care about the information they are passing on to buyers. Before anyone buys any fish, they should always do some research to see if they'll be ok in their tank and if they can provide all they need. If everyone did that, so many problems could be avoided.

As far as I know no shrimps are in NZ except the native ones.

The Amano or cherry or any of the other aquarium shrimp arent allowed in.

Hopefully someone can correct me and let us know where they are if I am wrong.

Hi Weka

See this link to google maps: http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&sourc ... 6&t=h&z=17

I recommend that you go down seabreeze close, at the end of the street is a path , turn left and when you reach the area that bends round that is an area that can be good to catch them. You'll mostly find mysis shrimp but there should hopefully be a few glass shrimp, either way your fish's will love the mysis shrimp. :wink:

angel obsessed, yes you can keep seahorses without a licence, you just can't sell them...