Food for thought.

Food for thought - a must read.

This has been sitting on my bebo page for so long now, I thought I'd share it with all of you as well. I don't know who the author is.

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways , but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgement, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete...

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Today I spent a couple of hours videoing a funeral of a woman who was 85 when she died.... she was an amazing woman who did all those things you've quoted and that was clearly evident by the amount of people who got up and shared what she had meant to them and how generous and loving she was.

And I have a friend whose 3 yr old daughter has just been diagnosed with cancer.....its true we need to treasure each and every moment and share whats precious in our minds and hearts. :D

And I have a friend whose 3 yr old daughter has just been diagnosed with cancer.....its true we need to treasure each and every moment and share whats precious in our minds and hearts. :D

I lost my first girlfriend to cancer. and we shared everything that these few lines said.

hope your friends daughter gets well soon.

That's so true. After loosing the 8th close family member to suicide this week, I know how true it is to have to cherish all those moments. You never know when might be the last time you see someone, and you should live each day like it's your last. Never finish a day thinking what if; give your all, every day, and every day be thankful for something.

Phoenix, I'm sorry about your girlfriend. Seems like you two made the most of the time you had, and that's all we can ever do.

After seeing so much death in my life (I've been to 28 funerals of family members and close friends, and I'm only 20), it's really helped put things into perspective for me. Never waste a moment hating something when you could spend the time loving someone; give your best, 110% to everything you do always, and no matter what, have no regrets.

Wow, I don't even have 8 close family members total. What is wrong with your family? (After rereading that, it doesn't sound the way I meant it to, but I'm not quite sure how else to word it.)

I guess once one does it, they all follow or something. It does seem unusually high, but apparently it's not that uncommon. I also have a big family, but still, about a third of them died by suicide.

Some depressive illnesses can be genetic and run in families. I know when my mother researched her family tree we discovered a patch where a few generations of males suicided. Of course, if one has a dad (or other close relative) who does it others may think it 'normal' and 'acceptable' and follow suit thinking it is the answer to their problems.

Some depressive illnesses can be genetic and run in families. I know when my mother researched her family tree we discovered a patch where a few generations of males suicided. Of course, if one has a dad (or other close relative) who does it others may think it 'normal' and 'acceptable' and follow suit thinking it is the answer to their problems.

Yeah, bipolar runs in our family big time, as does depression. It's on both sides, so I don't figure I have too much of a chance to avoid it! It's quite interesting in our family that it's mostly females who have done it, where statistically it's much more likely in males.