Show us your clown loaches

smidey

Has anyone successfully bred them in NZ ?

there were a few hints about the potential of some breeding on this forum a month or two ago but i haven't seen the "Here are my aquarium breded clowns" thread. I don't know exact figures & i'm sure someone may know but i think it either has never happened or maybe a couple of times in the world. rarer than the proverbial rocking horse droppings :lol:

The only confirmed captive breeding is hormone/chemically induced, there is a story about a guy who supposedly spawned them naturally and raised the fry, but despite giving them [fry] away to many people not one person has come forward to confirm the story, so its most likely a myth. I'd put money on it that no one in NZ has even come close to spawning them.

I've got 26 from 4 to 20cm, should try to take some pictures once their tank is set up properly with substrate.

We are talking about tanks the size of Olympic swimming pools here. where you dont have to heat them cause its tropical climate, natural temp ranges, normal rainwater water top ups and lots and lots of water. too many variables to be certain. i could see why they bred in there though. they were harvested 3 times a year.

strong current works in giant cement tanks in asia.

Concrete would make the water too hard unless it was really really old. The few reports of potential spawning behavoir observed in the home aquarium have been in acidic water.

More info on CL breeding.

Just remembered I had a few pictures of my biggest, taken about 8 months ago.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k186/ ... ach1-1.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k186/ ... ach2-1.jpg

Concrete would make the water too hard unless it was really really old. The few reports of potential spawning behavoir observed in the home aquarium have been in acidic water.

More info on CL breeding.

Just remembered I had a few pictures of my biggest, taken about 8 months ago.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k186/ ... ach1-1.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k186/ ... ach2-1.jpg

those are pretty large clowns, are the larger ones roughly 25cm?

i have two that are only about 5 inches & two that are about 1 1/4 inch.

Hi

what i would like to know is how you get your pics so clear--what camera are you using or to be more precise what is the lens and are you using a ring flash or just a standard flash

I'm guessing it's just that we don't get to see the 371 blurry shots it took to get these clear ones :D The first shot is a point 'n click, you can see the reflection top centre...

I'm guessing it's just that we don't get to see the 371 blurry shots it took to get these clear ones :D The first shot is a point 'n click, you can see the reflection top centre...

yeah its a $160 Panasonic Lumix camera we bought, i used to have a Sony H1 ($1000 worth) which was technically 100 times better, lasted 3 years before it no longer worked & was really hard to use. I explained all this to the salesman at Harvey Norman & he thought the H1 was the best of its type & thought we should have been happy about it only lasting that long as that was normal ($333 per year of use). Cheap easy to use cameras are a better option IMO.

so they are approx 15cm & slightly larger than mine? :D

There are a few that are 15cm+ now, and the biggest two would be pretty much on 20cm total length (IIRC the biggest one then was about 18cm TL but I couldn't get a pic of it sitting straight on the ruler). Just been moved into the 5' so will hopefully keep growing.