American Tank

Morcs

Ive just bought a 150L 3 foot . Got some great pieces of drifwood and some great rocks for hidy-holes. Will have overfiltration. Like a Aquaone CF1200 :D

my 3 juvenile convicts will be going in there, along with a young jewel and a 5'' blue acara.

what other americans will be compatible with the tank size and companions?

Obviously dont want anything that will outgrow the tank. Thanks :)

Do you realise that Jewels are from Africa?

With convicts in there, you will find they get aggresive to other fish when trying to breed. And they will try to breed.

My suggestion (and its only my suggestion) would be get a couple of Geophagus instead of the convicts.

HTH

I wouldn't go with anymore than what you have.. If the convicts do pair off and breed they will take over at least half of that tank not leaving much room for the jewel/acara.. As Si says maybe try some Geo's? Or if you want to setup a nice colourful crowded tank go down the african route with dems/yellows and some peacocks as they do better in larger groups..

Do you realise that Jewels are from Africa?

With convicts in there, you will find they get aggresive to other fish when trying to breed. And they will try to breed.

My suggestion (and its only my suggestion) would be get a couple of Geophagus instead of the convicts.

HTH

Yep aware re the jewel, I see them as an honory american, it was just born on the wrong continent.

What are the common names of the geophagus, im not familiar with them and there are 22 different species.

With the convicts, will probably just keep 2 males or 2 females as they become sexable to stop breeding.

Without convicts I should be okay with a firemouth too?

The only other Idea I had was a keyhole or 2.

But the title of this thread is " American Tank"

Correct there are many fish commonly know as Geophagus.

Common In Nz is "Surinamensis"

I quote that name as that is what the shops label them as, but most are actually Geophagus Altifrons.

Keyholes are neat. Not as colourful but very friendly and inqusitive fish.

HTH

Will have overfiltration. Like a Aquaone CF1200 :D

I guess there is no such thing as overfiltering, but that CF1200 moves a lot of water... id imagine you'd create quite the water flow in a 150L tank. As long as you're cool with that.

Looking forward to seeing how your plans come together!

So ive decided on my lineup for the american tank:

Already have:

Blue acara

convicts x 3

Jewel

adding to that:

firemouth

Keyhole (1 or 2?)

And 5 tiger barbs as cycling fish, and will remain as dither/target fish hehe

What order do you suggest they go in?

Going on territorial natures and aggression of the individual fish, I have this order:

Barbs / keyhole / firemouth / acara / jewel / convicts

I definitely wouldn't mix keyholes with convicts and jewels, they would get hammered :o ...150L isn't very big and the standard rule is 1cm of fish to 2L of water...Also, American cichlids aren't like Mbuna or Tropheus in that overcrowding would just lead to undue stress and a lot of fighting....

what are the dimensions of your tank? surface area is key for overcrowding and territory size.

just proceed with caution :wink:

Its a 915 x 380 x 460

I calculated there is enough surface are for 1 con, jewel, acara, firemouth and keyhole when at full adult size.

The tank is stunningly setup at the moment, very simple. but will have a play with some more rocks and stuff to create more territory boundaries and line-of-sight breakers.

I think you are playing with fire here, bearing in mind that if you get one adult male convict, jewel, acara or firemouth that is grumpy he will happily take over a 3ft tank :) There are no hard and fast rules towards stocking up tanks with cichlids it all goes on aggression I agree the poor keyholes will get a hard time as they are generally quite peaceful..

I do get the impression you have already made up your mind and thats cool noone can guarantee it wont work as some fish just get along.. I just hope you have spare tanks to rescue any half dead fish if it does all turn pear shaped and you can get them out in time..

Im rethinking on the whole keyhole thing.

Im going to put a female convict in. The only sexable as a female is the most aggressive, so hoping one of the other two is a female as they are quite placid.

What are your thoughts on fast dither fish that are too big to eat but will lessen the aggression amongst the cichlids?

I would use the convicts just for cycling and then get rid of them. There prety much indistructable. I sold my breeding pair in January and found some more in the tank a few days ago all the power had been off and have not put any food in tank.

Tank is all setup.

Got a nice rocky backround, and a grey heater guard for the heater to blend in.

Water is in, along with 3 juve convicts to cycle - Ill monitor their aggression over the next few weeks to see which one I want to keep - I really want to keep one!

Got the CF1200 running this morning, the pipes are horrible, so need to rerig them.

Heres a pick before the water went in:

smalltank001.th.jpg

That looks quite nice actually :bounce: (get more plants, lol... you can never have enough plants...)

how come you haven't filled the tank all the way up?

Want to keep low on the plants, The 2 java ferns are to give the tank some green (and they are robust and potted) and ive always loved the look Vals give - especially when they are swaying around due to the surface current.

I thought the tank was full enough? how full is full?

I don't know much about growing java fern as i have hopeless luck growing it. but I know that the roots are not supposed to be buried in the gravel.

I have my tank filled all the way up. like all the way so you can't see the gap between the top and the water level.

have you rethought your choice of fish? what do you want in the tank now?

I have my tank filled all the way up. like all the way so you can't see the gap between the top and the water level.

an inch from the top of the tank is standard, you wouldn't want to make it too easy for fish to jump and if the water was right up against the glass, it wouldn't be good for oxygen exchange...if you don't want to see the gap, a hood could be an option....but it all comes down to what works best for you at the end of the day :D

Nooooo dont want a hood! my other tank has a hood, prefer without :D

the water level did go down somewhat when i started up the filter, it holds 12 litres :o

But yeah, I figured all the way up would leave no air...

The javas are potted, with the bottoms cut out, not expecting them to thrive, just survive. purely aesthetic.