Keeping my DIY CO2 yeast solution warm

AquaVitamins

Heyy,

I Have heard that the Yeast solution needs to be kept warm otherwise it severely slows the process down.

:roll:

How should i keep it warm?

I have rapped a sock around the bottle. But i don't have a spare heater to put it in a bucket with warm water either. Nor do i have any room to strap it onto the tank. How the heck do i keep it warm? :evil: :roll:

Could always get a desk lamp or something and put it next to it, it'll use a lot of power but that's just the way it goes? Putting a sock around it probably wont have any effect, since it doesn't have any internal heat source - or does it?

Hmm... it seems a shame to be keeping your tank at a steady, warm temperature and not being able to harness that energy for keeping your yeast mix warm. Is there really no way you can keep it in, on or near your tank? If you have a cannister filter, can you keep it near that? Near your tank lights? (beware of not overheating it though).

Also something to look out for (for those who do keep it on top of their tank) ensure you have a system in palce to make sure the yeast mix can't accidentally syphon into your tank water :o

I used to put mine in a small poly box standing on its side, poked a hole in the 'top' and ran the airline through it, put my yeast bottle inside and stuffed dacron around it, then taped the lid on.

That was until I got sick of the damned thing and bought a Co2 bottle and regulator, now it just ticks away all the time in the corner and I don't have to think about refilling the stinky alcohol smelly thing all the time.

garden centres, brew shops and pet centres sell small plastic heat pads for about $40, we use one for my bf's brew yeast. We got it from oderings. It is designed to keep things about 20 degrees or so. I wish I could find one that would be just a wee bit hotter then it would be mint for putting small betta tanks on! Yes I did try putting a small empty (other than water) tank on it and taking the temperature and it could only get it to about 18 degrees consistently, thats not quite enough for a betta boy right guys?

NB I think you may be able to order one online from oderings but then you will get stung for a courier. Anyway, they are about 25cm square, royal blue and waterproof and bloody fantastic if you ask me. I use them for all sorts of things such as warming up sick animals, germinating seeds.

You can use the heat pads or an aquarium heater/thermostat in the bottle. I used to use them when making wine. Use a rubber bung with a hole for the wires and one for the CO2. A better way would be a to use a large jar and make wine at the same time..

Haha yea, could do that. :)