Sand as substrate? - please help

Aquila

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum! I've been living in NZ now for 3 years and the urge to own an aquarium again has come back! I owned several aquariums back home in Canada... a discus tank, a cichlid tank, and a mixed tank. So I guess I am fairly experienced in fish keeping...however these were all gravel tanks and I'm really keen on giving sand a go!

I only have a little 30 L tank at the moment, but do plan to get a large tank by the end of the year.

I want to create a sandy bottom, have a small piece of driftwood, some larger rocks to build caves and hiding spots and a few plants I can get my hands on. The plan at the moment is to get 3-4 small blue rams. If the 30 L sandy tank is a success then I will be doing the same thing in my big tank!

Does anyone have experience with sand? I've been trying to research it online.

Here is the stuff I learned about it so far:

- sand apparently stays cleaner but requires more maintenance/water changes (which I will need for a 30 L tank anyway)

- if sand particles are too fine and aren't stirred regularly it can lead to the buildup of harmful gases

- sand can become too compact for some plants to root, but other thrive in it (seems to be a lot of mixed views about this)

- you have to make sure your fish are compatible with sand (which rams apparently are)

- sand quality is important. Silicous is best, with a slightly larger grain size. Can't use beach sand because of potentially harmful metals or pollutants and because I won't be able to get all the salt out...(this sounds a bit dodgy, I understand the presence of iron or other heavy metals....but I find it hard to believe you can't wash salt off sand grains...I mean people collect driftwood off beaches all the time and just boil/bake it)

- can't use underground filter...canister is best

I want my biological filtration to working as best as possible with little buildup of gunk in the sand. How exactly do I clean it? Will regular siphoning near the surface of the sand be sufficient? I hear that waste doesn't really penetrate into the sand so this is what people do, but what about the potentially fatal gas pockets? What aquatic plants in NZ do best in sand?

That's all I can think of for now!

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Milena

Does anyone have experience with sand?

-Yes I have sand in all of my tanks.

I've been trying to research it online.

Here is the stuff I learned about it so far:

- sand apparently stays cleaner but requires more maintenance/water changes (which I will need for a 30 L tank anyway)

The çleanness depends on what you stock.

- if sand particles are too fine and aren't stirred regularly it can lead to the buildup of harmful gases

plant plants in the sand or run your fingers through it occasionally.

- sand can become too compact for some plants to root, but other thrive in it (seems to be a lot of mixed views about this)

you would need a hell of a lot for this i would think.

- you have to make sure your fish are compatible with sand (which rams apparently are)

- sand quality is important. Silicous is best, with a slightly larger grain size. Can't use beach sand because of potentially harmful metals or pollutants and because I won't be able to get all the salt out...(this sounds a bit dodgy, I understand the presence of iron or other heavy metals....but I find it hard to believe you can't wash salt off sand grains...I mean people collect driftwood off beaches all the time and just boil/bake it)

You can use play sand, clean fine builders sand, or beach sand. West coast is inert, east coast is more shelly.

- can't use underground filter...canister is best

Yes. Just make sure your filter inlet is high enough above the sand so as to not suck it up in the current flow.

I want my biological filtration to working as best as possible with little buildup of gunk in the sand. How exactly do I clean it?

Use a gravel vac on a 45* angle.

Will regular siphoning near the surface of the sand be sufficient?

It depends on how much your fish mess around in the sand.

I hear that waste doesn't really penetrate into the sand so this is what people do, but what about the potentially fatal gas pockets?

Have a good cleaning plan and carry it out regularly. If you use clean sand to start with and clean the bio-waste from teh top then you won't get gas pockets.

What aquatic plants in NZ do best in sand?

Most rooting tropical plants. It depends more on your lighting and nutrients in your water column.

That's all I can think of for now!

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Milena

edit suphew: to fix quotes

Super! Thanks for your reply :)

I think that most of the stuff I read on the internet was over-dramatizing it...

I will see if Mitre 10 or Bunnings has nice playground sand...otherwise I'm headed down to Lyall Bay for some beach sand!

Cheers, Milena

30L might be a bit small for 4 rams. Maybe just a pair, since they are pretty territorial :evil: when they are breeding.

BTW Lyall Bay beach sand - probably not your best location since it's just around the corner from the sewage treatment plant. Having worked there I can say they treat to one of the highest standards you can get but I would imagine its a little eutrophied there. Also all the stormwater drains drain out onto the beach so diluted dog doo and stuff from Lyall Bay's gutters inevitably ends up on the beach. It's safe to swim in but I would hesitate to make my fishies live in it because it will introduce nitrogen and g.o.k what else. I'd go somewhere where there should be less run off like Makara Beach. The less-used the beach the better imho. Somewhere away from hard surfaces like concrete that drain off onto the beach, which is why Makara would be my preference.

Thanks darkfur

Yeah, I was thinking 3-4 being to many as well. It really depends what size I can get them at. If they adults to begin with then I will only get a pair for the 30L tank, but if i can get my hands on some really young rams then I will go for 4 with the plans to move them to the bigger tank once I get it.

Thanks for letting me know about about the Lyall bay sand. Maybe it isn't the best choice. I don't have a car at the moment, only a scooter, so i can't really make it out to Makara...but from what I remember I think it had a black pebble beach right? I will investigate the playground sand, but the stores may only stock really really big bags of it. Whatever sand I end up with, I will make sure it doesn't have iron in it, and then put it through a really extensive rinsing and sterilizing process.

Do you think driftwood from Island Bay would be safe after boiling/baking?

Tanks!

Milena

Super! Thanks for your reply :)

I think that most of the stuff I read on the internet was over-dramatizing it...

I will see if Mitre 10 or Bunnings has nice playground sand...otherwise I'm headed down to Lyall Bay for some beach sand!

Cheers, Milena

You are in luck as you are in wellington - go to placemakers and ask for their silica sand - its lovely, soft, a whitish colour and someone else on here has used it before so knows its good - its inert too.

You might find this link useful too;-

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/videos/cleaning_sand.php

Hiya,

I've used Wellington sand (from Eastbourne, Owhiro Bay and Hutt River) as well as builder's sand, fine sand and Dalton's Propagating sand (all from hardware stores; Bunnings, Warehouse or Mitre 10) in various tanks.

I just rinsed out the sand with a hose, (in a pan like gold-panning) to get rid of the dirt, dust and debris.

The bought sand contains virtually no shells, so the pH will be better for Rams.

Thank you all for your help!

Aquatopia, that is a fantastic idea! I've never been to Placemakers so I had no idea to expect such lovely-sounding sand! The video was great, it was exactly what i wanted to see :)

Jim R, its nice to hear that you've had such success with it. I hope to one day work my way up to Discus again :)

Foxglove, thanks for the different locations. I might venture down to Owhiro bay for some larger black rocks...and thanks you for the helpful technique for cleaning new sand :)

I'm excited!

don't forget to give those stones a boil - the stream that runs to Owhiro bay is polluted. Oh, I hate knowing these things sometimes. So long as you don't get anything from Waiwhetu stream - its so polluted that some metals are almost at mineable levels :o . I always feel ill when I see people fishing from it. On the other hand you might be able to fish up a mutant fish with 3 eyes a la the Simpsons.

Well my tank is now sanded, planted and has some guppies!

I've gone with the Silica sand from placemakers and it looks terrific :D

My home home is back near Toronto. Had to sell my aquariums each trip home! Its quite sad! All I have left now is a large terrarium used for a beardie. I had it custom built, which I could bring it with me!

Anyways, thanks for your help everyone!

Milena

Post pics of your set up! Are you liking the sand? I love the look of sand in a tank!

Near Toronto visited Toronto several times over the years. So, how did you end up all the way to New Zealand?

Caper

Here it is! I know it is a small tank, but I DO love the sand. When I get a bigger one, I am definitely not going back to gravel :D I've got 2 kuhli loaches in there too...but goodluck to me for ever getting a photo of one!

2917247130033337904cYPKRw_th.jpg

Caper: I ended up here because I came to do my Masters in Marine bio. Met a boy and decided to stay for a while ;)

Berton: Thanks for reminding me of that. The wood doesn't have to be from Island Bay, I'm sure there is plenty lying around elsewhere.