Sliced courgettes

miffif

if you are like me and dont like courgettes i found frozen sliced courgettes in the supermarket and i just thaw what i need in hot water then put them in the tank and the fish love it and found they do sink after a little while. :bow:

if you are like me and dont like courgettes i found frozen sliced courgettes in the supermarket and i just thaw what i need in hot water then put them in the tank and the fish love it and found they do sink after a little while. :bow:

I am like you and its handy to know about the frozen ones. Cheers for the heads up 8)

I had a look in the shop for the pre frozen stuff.

:o eeeekkk $3 something for about 400g

you coul buy three times as much if you buy fresh and cut then freeze.

Or do what I did, grow them during summer, then cut and freeze enough for the year. Total cost $2.50.

best option, hands down,

Having no space is no excuse. Grow it in a pot.

Ira wrote:

boil it to defrost

So does that mean you cannot put it in the tank frozen. I've wondered about that before as I have frozen brine shrimp. I just take a bit of tank water out in a small container and let it thaw that way. But I wasn't sure about frozen vegies like cucumbers and zucchini.

Caper

It depends on the fish and the thickness of the frozen food. Small bits will defrost in the tank water very rapidly. A larger chunk may get eaten by one fish but if defrosted first the food can be spread more evenly through the tank with more fish getting a chance at a bit.

If a fish eats a larger, frozen, chunk it might get a headache from the cold! :lol:

Ira wrote:

So does that mean you cannot put it in the tank frozen. I've wondered about that before as I have frozen brine shrimp. I just take a bit of tank water out in a small container and let it thaw that way. But I wasn't sure about frozen vegies like cucumbers and zucchini.

Caper

Sure, you can feed it to them frozen. But they don't sink well unless they've been boiled before freezing.:)