Discus not looking Happy :-(

LYNDYLOO

I did a 60% water change in my Discus Tank on Tuesday Night, I do two water changes a week, usually on a Wednesday and Sunday, I filled the Tank with Pre-Heated Water as usual, then Added some Plant Food ( API Leaf Zone) I noticed my Discus looking abit strange last night, they looked as though they had a sort of White Coating over them, they were not looking happy at all last night so did an emergency water change of 60% again, checked the water parameters and everything is fine with that,

Temp 29-30

PH 6.6

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 10

The Tank stays pretty much the same readings all the time so it's obviously pretty stable.

I only thing I can think of is the Discus have had a reaction to the Leaf Zone I put in the tank after the water change, which I dont understand either, I have used this before and they have never had a reaction to it, I usually only dose 1 every couple of weeks.

Two of the Discus are sort of swimming lop sided, the coating on the skin seems to be a little better, they dont seem to be a keen to feed as they usually are either :-( they're not Happy chappys.

I have concerns I'm going to lose them, I would hate for that to happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Lynda, Initial thoughts sound like the leaf zone or maybe this is just part of the problem ,but I would also check your ph straight from the tap and see if it corresponds with your tank water.I notice your ph is quite low, Are you injecting CO2? If you are CO2 can lower the ph of water with low kh and if your tap water is coming in alot higher with a 60% water change this can be quite a ph swing.Which doesn't make for happy fish :( hth

Not injecting CO2

Will check the PH of the Tap Water, have never had a problem like this before, the only thing I have done differnet is the Leaf Zone, everything is exactly how I normally do water changes twice a week.

Discus are looking much brighter this morning, so maybe I will dose with half the dose they recommend for the Leaf Zone next time.

If you use a water conditioner like AquaPlus or StressCoat i think it's best to wait a day before dosing with a plant fert as the conditioners do cause precipitation of some of the compounds...maybe that's what caused it??

aww sucks to hear that! hope they're getting better...have they all gone dark in colour too? I have never had this happen to mine - how much of Leaf Zone did you add? I half my Flourish Excell dosages all the time just as a safety precaution...

keep us updated

By the way I've still got the tubiflex worms for you..anytime you want them

Dont use any water conditioners, so that counts out that problem

They are all looking much better today, I'm putting it down to the Leaf Zone, dosed with the normal dose I use and have never had this problem before so not sure quite whats happened, I used 20mls for a 215litre tank.

No darkness in Colour that I have noticed, apart from the Snakeskin or Blue Turk (cant remember which one is which now) who is normally fairly dark anyway.

Amy: I totally forgort about the Tubifex, been sick for a couple of weeks so never thought anymore about it, will get the Courier Ticket on it's way to you next week, hope that's ok.

hey there's no rush LyndyLoo - it's sitting sweet on my counter :)

When you do dose - do you put that 20ml all in at the same time without diluting it first or do you gradually add it with water? I always gradually add my Flourish with every bucket of water I put in just to dilute it down a bit

Hmm :roll:

Now you got me thinking about pouring in the Leaf Zone all in one go, I did put 10ml in one side of the tank and the other 10 ml in the other side of the tank, didnt even think about it at the time, but I do remember the Discus coming up to my hand when I placed the Leaf Zone into the Tank, I usually hand feed them Tubifex so they obviously thought they were going to be fed. So I'm now thinking maybe the Leaf Zone has slightly burnt them, as they looked slightly whiteish, with what appeared to be their skin sort of peeling off, they all look good now, happily feeding and swimming around again like they used too.

Glad they recover and you didn't kill them :lol:

Agree with Amy on mixing the dose in a bucket of water before putting it in the tank. This is to avoid the discus sucking the concentrated dose in an irritating (burning)their gills and body.

When adding stuff to tank be it medication or fertilizer etc.. it's safer to do the bucket way.

Yes I have to say a good lesson learned

I'm so pleased I didn't kill them either Ron, they're all looking very Happy again now :bounce:

Loving their Tubifex Worms :)

Will post a photo of them again soon they have grown so much

Thanks for all your help guys and girls