why do some guppys have a v shaped spine?

sandysme

Hey Sandy, I have had bent females some of which I think have been grown up too quick and I have had a couple of fry that have developed as they have gotten older which is probably genetic, had a few from the Gold Ribbon Females. The ones that go like bananas and fade away, I think is weight of tail, mostly male, the tail gradually drags them down and they go like get bent like a banana. I have lost lots of weak linebred ones, the offspring were even weaker. I cull.... now.

Hey Sandy, I have had bent females some of which I think have been grown up too quick and I have had a couple of fry that have developed as they have gotten older which is probably genetic, had a few from the Gold Ribbon Females. The ones that go like bananas and fade away, I think is weight of tail, mostly male, the tail gradually drags them down and they go like get bent like a banana. I have lost lots of weak linebred ones, the offspring were even weaker. I cull.... now.

yeah thats it, I have a few fade away males and afew bent females, im just separating them now, some of the boys look shocking.

yeah thats it, I have a few fade away males and afew bent females, im just separating them now, some of the boys look shocking.

I wouldn't rule out disease either, if you are loosing other Guppies or otherwise healthy Guppies are developing similar traits.

On a brighter note I have a beautiful big strong juvi Gold Ribbon Fin male, much bigger than the original males but with the 3 toned tail they sport. He is with the girls now sharing his genes, I very excited :bounce: and should have plenty to share once they arrive and grow. I also put some of the girls that had a touch more yellow in their tails with blue boys, and younguns tails are not quite green but blue with shimmers of yellow or opposite looking really good, with long fins too.

:D

I wouldn't rule out disease either, if you are loosing other Guppies or otherwise healthy Guppies are developing similar traits.

On a brighter note I have a beautiful big strong juvi Gold Ribbon Fin male, much bigger than the original males but with the 3 toned tail they sport. He is with the girls now sharing his genes, I very excited :bounce: and should have plenty to share once they arrive and grow. I also put some of the girls that had a touch more yellow in their tails with blue boys, and younguns tails are not quite green but blue with shimmers of yellow or opposite looking really good, with long fins too.

:D

what types of disease and I will google...

Clove oil is best, IMHO. Mix several drops up with a shot of vodka, then add that to a container of tank water. Put the fish in the container and it'll be anaesthetised within seconds, and die within a minute or two.

Or just hit them with a mallet - instant but not much fun... :(

Well I have separated all the males out that I got that seem to be wasting away, I am down to about 4, but I didnt want them near the healthy one that I just got. I have culled the bent females, Hope this will stop it carrying on.

Have you been buying and adding guppies from all sorts of random sources?

There is a theory that there is a guppy virus that certain guppies carry and are resistant to it, someone told me that alot of imported guppies carry it.. If you introduce a carrier to your tank it can wipe out your other guppies and stress can wipe out the rest. It is recommended that you always add some of your "healthy" guppies from your existing tank into the tank with your new fish when you quarantine them and see if your "healthy" ones start fading away and getting deformed while all the others that haven't been in contact with the new ones are fine.

I got the above information from a guppy breeder who knows his stuff and from what I have heard in other places it is true and alot of the suppliers the wholesalers are dealing with (cheapest bidders) are riddled with this virus. Some of the info might not be 100% correct as I don't really know much about it but I believe I have the general idea..

ryan thats interesting i got all mine from the same person. and they seem to be ok. i did loose a few but i dunno how old they were as they were fully grown when I got them, I have also heard of some ppl whos guppies just get wiped out 2 !

mine with the spine problems were born like that so i have got rid of the ones that are bent

sandy if there were born like that i wouldnt worry

plus they breed so much if u loose a few you wouldnt notice

i have the most amazing blonde guppies with neon yellow tails they are just startin to colour up so be interesting to see what i get from that, i also have bred a few really nice tux ones too !!!

well bred, they did it themselves haha

Well I have separated all the males out that I got that seem to be wasting away, I am down to about 4, but I didnt want them near the healthy one that I just got. I have culled the bent females, Hope this will stop it carrying on.

Wow and they all looked so bright and healthy! I have to agree with Ryan, I got some lovely looking Guppies that took out others with them, luckily I keep my strains separate and only really lost a few others that didn't really matter. They all got that skinny wasting away look!

You know Sandy, that one extra female I bought from the petshop did the same thing, that could be the problem did your one produce offspring before she died?

No she didn't. the other females are fine its really the big bunch of males that I got that have been wasting away, the tank seems fine now they are all separated will just watch the quarantine tank and see how they go I guess..

No she didn't. the other females are fine its really the big bunch of males that I got that have been wasting away, the tank seems fine now they are all separated will just watch the quarantine tank and see how they go I guess..

Goodluck Sandy its so disappointing when you choose nice Guppies and then loose them!

So what did you pickup from Lower Hutt while you were down there :wink:

[

i have the most amazing blonde guppies with neon yellow tails they are just startin to colour up so be interesting to see what i get from that, i also have bred a few really nice tux ones too !!!

well bred, they did it themselves haha

Are yours blondes or golds Aaron, I have been working on Golds some have Ribbon Fins and some don't, some of the males have that metallic sheen to them? Someone over in Palmy breeds them and sells them to the Petshop and I have been breeding them back pure. Just recently I have bred them with Neon Tux blues and have a few with the Ribbon fins.

hi i dunno lol but one is like yellow or gold with snake skin body with spots in aline then a neon yellow tail that looks like it might be checkered, the other one is the same without the snake skin but has some over colours appearin in his tail, theres heaps of white babies two, one of my girls is so fat she looks like shes gonna burst, they are gettin on a bit one died recently

Goodluck Sandy its so disappointing when you choose nice Guppies and then loose them!

So what did you pickup from Lower Hutt while you were down there :wink:

LOL, A mixture of guppys mainly.... :bounce: :bounce:

[

Are yours blondes or golds Aaron, I have been working on Golds some have Ribbon Fins and some don't, some of the males have that metallic sheen to them? Someone over in Palmy breeds them and sells them to the Petshop and I have been breeding them back pure. Just recently I have bred them with Neon Tux blues and have a few with the Ribbon fins.

i was told they were blonde guppies but i dont know im not good with all the colourings

id love some blue ones i have too many redish and orange and tux ones hehe

i nearly got rid of the lot because of they breed to much but suppose one good thing wont have to buy fish again !

i have about 60-80 fry in a 22 litre tank thats chocka lol :bounce: