Golden Bristle nose

RochelleMay

Hey guys,

Just wanting to know if it is normal for My Golden Bristlenose to get a pinkish nose?

I have 3 babies about 4-5cm and 2 of them have a pink nose and when you look closer it just looks like lots of blood running through their veins in the nose. They are just doing their normal thing but looked realy Pink.

All the other fish are fine, if their was anything wrong with the water the discus are first to show signs and they sit at the back under the filter so I don't think its the water at all. But will check tommorow.

Hope you can give me some insight into this, Im not too worried at the moment cause they do look happy with all the other fish... unless you tell me otherwise...

Thanks in Advance.

Ummm, I dont have an O2 test kit, I just have your normal Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite,pH one and CO2 (although I don't have CO2 in my tank but Dad does so I can use it if need be)

But we have lots of air bubbles and a surface breaking filter - if its lack of O2, or could it be too much O2?

Will post photos shortly just need to charge my camera battery :) I tried with Cellphone but it wasn't so good.

They still eatng away and being normal.

I did a normal 25% water change

Here are some photos. They are a lot pinker than the photos show.

dsc02004.jpg

By rochellemay, shot with DSC-W50 at 2009-04-28

Under the shadow of the plant you can slightly see the redness and at the top of its head.

dsc02012t.jpg

By rochellemay, shot with DSC-W50 at 2009-04-28

This one isn't as visible but if you look closely you can see the colour change on the middle of his nose.

Look forward to seeing what you have to say? And kind of nervous to I hope theyre ok.

They are very happy, I know the photos don't fully show it 2 of the ones noses have gone really red.

Im not really worried cause they are happy as usual but just wanted to know if its normal for their noses to go red/pink.

It almost looks they they got their noses too close to the heater but We have a heater guard and a heater that isn't currently turned on which they love to hang around so it's definatly not a burn since it ain't going :P

I lost all 3 of mine like this

They got a red mouth and then about a week later one of thems guts got huge and the other twos faces swelled up and they all went from like yours to dead in 24hrs. They were about the same size as yours too

They all behaved normally until their last day

They stunk like they had a bad infection. Catch one and see if it smells off

oh no really? I just caught one to take more photos but When I photograph they actually come out their lovely golden colour. I so hope they don't die.

I just caught one again, and he couldn't smell off that I could smell they just smelt like fish which don't smell very nice anyways :P

god oliver, aren't you a little ray of sunshine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i have never had golden bristlenoses going red, but that could be cause no bristle nose has ever lived in my tank for more than 10 - 15 days :o

id wait for mr.pleco or one of the other pleco guys before you went sniffing your fish :o

and if you do sniff your fish, do take a video and post it on youtube :lol:

Some GBA's get a red/pinkish patch behind the head (I think its a pigmentation thing) but never the nose.. Cant help more than that sorry.

I was just looking at them on TM and there is one that has a full pink body. :-? But yeah this is their nose mainly and slightly behind their head. Im going to wait a couple weeks to see if what happened to ollys happens to mine. Fingers crossed it doesn't as he said his were normal and then all ofa sudden. Who knows its a complete mystery.

The 3rd one that didn't have any rednes and then did well his redness has gone now I was probably just seeing things :P So atleast one of them doesnt have it :)

Yeah my gbas also get a bit pinkish at times. :o

I've seen the pink behind the head as well as the nose.

I've also seen the guts swell a bit - but then I've usually just fed them! :lol: :oops:

My response would be that it probably is something they're nibbling on - maybe too rich or with red colour agents (like Colourbits), rather than poisonous.

You could give less food or bland stuff like peas and courgette if you're worried.

:bounce:

GBAs get red behind the head in males when they come into spawning unknown why just what they do also happens with starlights as for the nose it could be a bit of rubbing as adults dont really get this and maybe the young just rubbing their nose end as they feed do keep an eye on it why i ask for temp, is heat will bring blood vessels to the surface and being so small may have been a factor other reasons may be parasitic but cant see any other signs to reflect that watch for swollen tummies or pale colouring as this then is parastitic ..watch nitrate levels in the tank and make sure airation is good (o2 levels ) dosent look anything to worry about at this stage and cant say i have seen it before best to keep an eye on it to make sure it dosent develop any further and by the sounds of it it comes and goes with location /mood /and stress .

if in doubt ...do a water change . 8)

Hey all, Thanks for your comments.

They are still going strong, but still pink. So who knows, It could be the temperature cause I have just started slowly turning up the tempertaure with discus and the cold setting in. Otherwise Im just doing my normal water changes which I am now doing daily instead of every second day.

And they also eat lots of colourbits left over from the discus. :) As long as They are still playing about I guess they are ok.

:)

LOl Rudolph is my mums nickname after having a couple wines :P

I not planning on stopping feeding them colour bits to see cause the discus go crazy over them. So Lets just hope it is that and they live happily ever after with their pink noses. :P

P.S. Discuguru our wee ones have settled in well thanks so much, My friend named them for us OJ (Orange Juice), JR -Junior (her initials), and beatrice (Famoina sP - the discus thrower)