Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ever heard a Sparkling Gourami croak?

Featured Replies

I have two Sparkling Gouramis and these fish are known to croak (sometimes being called the Croaking Gourami).

Every so often we hear a quick wood-pecker-tapping-on-wood type noise, lasting about half a second maybe? And I wondered if this was the Gouramis croaking. They always follow each other around and are together when I hear the noise. So has anyone else heard theirs croaking and can confirm what sort of noise they make? Does anyone know if they have to be doing anything special to make the croak noise? (I read on a website that a fish keeper used to see his ones rubbing together and thinks that makes the noise) :)

Also, anyone know of the capability of these fish and Chinese Algae Eaters? My Algae Eater just seems to chase the Gouramis around all time :-? trying to latch onto them or something?!

Siamese (Chinese) Algae eaters are known for getting quite aggressive when older and if there is not enough food or alage for them to eat then they may attack and eat other fish in the aquarium. :o

Siamese (Chinese) Algae eaters are known for getting quite aggressive when older and if there is not enough food or alage for them to eat then they may attack and eat other fish in the aquarium. :o

You will find that Siamese and Chinese(or golden) algae eaters are quite a different fish, in both looks and temperament.

But the one that Joliet has is a chinese and they do tend to get quite aggresive and 'chasey' as they get bigger.

What size is your tank?

  • Author

You will find that Siamese and Chinese(or golden) algae eaters are quite a different fish, in both looks and temperament.

But the one that Joliet has is a chinese and they do tend to get quite aggresive and 'chasey' as they get bigger.

What size is your tank?

It's an AR380. CAE is about .. 5cm long? Perhaps I should pass it on. I read some conflicting information about these on the interwebs and really don't want it stressing my Gouramis out.

  • Author
and yes they used to croak a lot, sort of a grating sound when they lock & rub there dorsal fins together..

umm must get somemore :D

Hmm I never seem to see them doing the rubbing. I guess I just miss it, then when I look at them they're acting all normal and innocent again :lol:

Mine used to do it all the time, they flare up and stare at eachother with their noses facing slightly down, seems to be males getting territorial - or possessive!

Only have one left now, must get him some friends and chuck the dageti out of the tank, I think they eat all of the offspring.

  • Author
Mine used to do it all the time, they flare up and stare at eachother with their noses facing slightly down, seems to be males getting territorial - or possessive!

Only have one left now, must get him some friends and chuck the dageti out of the tank, I think they eat all of the offspring.

Hmm I don't know if mine are getting territorial, because they love each other too much! hopefully I have a pair :) one seems to be 'redder' in the middle than the other. So I hope I'm seeing the right bits to make it a woman haha.

The Dageti looks cool. Do you have any other Killis?

Thread here about sexing Sparkling Gourami.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21062

Killie wise, I have:

Aphyosemion australae - Choc Australe

Pseudepiplatys annulatus - Clown Killie

Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum

Nothobranchius guentheri

Poropanchax normani - Normans Lampeye

and Epiplatys dageti

  • Author
Thread here about sexing Sparkling Gourami.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewto ... 14&t=21062

Killie wise, I have:

Aphyosemion australae - Choc Australe

Pseudepiplatys annulatus - Clown Killie

Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum

Nothobranchius guentheri

Poropanchax normani - Normans Lampeye

and Epiplatys dageti

Excellent, just sexed mine and looks like I have a male and female 8)

Perhaps I'm not hearing them croak then? Hmm will have to keep an eye on that. No bubble nests yet. I'm trying to make this my Anabantoid tank with my female fighter, male Dwarf Gourami (going to get him a lady friend) and my pair of Sparkling Gouramis and quite heavily planted too.

Nice Killis. I like the Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum especially. :)

  • Author
I thought sparkling and croaking were 2 completly different fish when keeping coulours and size were different??

Yep, there's a Croaking Gourami but sometimes the Sparkling Gourami is called a Croaking Gourami because .. well, they croak :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.