Converting milligrams per litre to parts per million

Aquatopia

Hi

Christchurch water has a total hardness (as CaCO3) of 45mg/litre.

Am I right in the following conversion ?

45mg/L (= 0.045/1000)

thus

=0.45/10,000

=4.5/100,000

=45/1,000,000

=45ppm

Im basing this on a formula I found online that says 1mg/L = 1ppm and have translated it into decimals so that anyone else can see the mathematical progression as well as just applying a formula.

Mg/litre is parts per million as there are one million mg/litre. Hardness is expressed as calcium carbonate even though it may be there as calcium chloride or a magnesium salt

So what i said is right then :D Thats all I need to know - so it looks like chch water is pretty soft huh.

Mg/litre is parts per million as there are one million mg/litre.

Not to be too pedantic, but that's only correct if whatever it is weighs one kilogram per liter, which for example is only accurate for water at a 4 degrees C (It's less dense above and below)

You cannot directly convert from mg/liter to parts per million that simply without knowing the atomic weights of what you're measuring and doing some math. But mg/L=ppm is usually not going to throw your measurements off any more than the hobby grade equipment and test kits do.:)

You cannot directly convert from mg/liter to parts per million that simply without knowing the atomic weights of what you're measuring and doing some math. But mg/L=ppm is usually not going to throw your measurements off any more than the hobby grade equipment and test kits do.:)

gah! you beat me to it ha ha lol :lol:

the errors are so small that it wont make a difference to what you need the calculations for :D