Show us your yellow labs

smidey

This is one of my strains, before I gave my yellows away. Not as nice as yours smidey.

P1050029Small.jpg

Its still nice phoenix - looks well fed too, and I actually quite like the idea of it in such a planted environment - would like to see more pics of the overall tank if you have them ?

This is one of my strains, before I gave my yellows away. Not as nice as yours smidey.

its not intended as a "who's got the best" rather an appreciation of what i think is a fantastic species of fish to have.

looking good there livingart!

a few different morphs are found in the lake

apparently the more solid yellow ones all come from an original pair from a small colony in the lake, major line breeding :wink:

some morphs have a faint barring on their sides, some are a whiter fish with black top fin and blue sheen when breeding

i think from memory their scientific name means blue :D

i had 4 fish at 6 to 8 inches the photo is of one of the youngsters off them

nice "electric yellow" marklb

same as yours smidey good solid yellows

2 of my large ones show faint barring, thought they might have been hybrids but after research found it is a morph

phoenix all the solid yellows come from a very small gene pool

when mine breed they also show faint "barring".

phoenix all the solid yellows come from a very small gene pool

i think this was the case when they were first made available to the hobby, they originally took a small number from lake malawi & put them in pools at lake tanginyika where tens of thousands were bred but i see guys on the cichlid-forum talking about their "F1" yellows which i understood to be wild caught fish so there must be a few more strains around than the original small one. maybe i misunderstood what they were saying but thats the idea i got from it.

might have to start a new thread :D

i thought wild caught stock would be described as F0 and next generation as F1, ?

or is F1 the first production of a hybrid breeding?

open to correction :wink:

F0 makes sense to me for wild caught, that would make, as you have correctly noted, the F1 1st generation & therefore a new strain incraesing the gene pool. Definately not hybrids :D