Plant propagators

Lucid

then you'll have to work form the plants you already have jude! and when u say on small scale do you mean jst using one tank, because even just using one tank you could still slowly grow queit a few plants, i no in my tanks with lights the plants grow like wild fire even tho i have fish nibbling at them! and its great caause every month or so i can jst move three or four plants round my tanks and have them start growing again!

cheers Shae

Yep thats exactly what I mean. One tank for plants, just propagating what I already have. Only buying another plant if its one I want anyway .......... etc etc. I don't imagine having rows of tanks with different plants in each one!

What I really fancy doing is growing plants on driftwood and stones ....... that way I can wander around collecting driftwood and I would have a great excuse for all the stones I bring home from each holiday .......... LOL

Cheers

Jude

well if it was me i would grow some java moss round the rock/driftwood and then once its firmly grown to it weight another plant down into the java moss and the plants roots will intangel with the java moss and the java moss will wrap round the plant, and your done! do you have any java moss jude?

Cheers Shae!

is suggest you keep a couple of small danios or somehting in with the plants that you want to grow, so that there no sitting in barron gravel, fish crap acts like a sort of fertiliser for the plants :D, and i must say i have done the java moss trick on rock many times and the affect is queit nice!

Cheers Shae

p.s. will see you at the meeting on weds!:D

Thanks Shae. I already have a tank which is propagating plants - mainly so I will have enough when I can finally get a big tank. I have bristlenoses in it and will be adding some other algae eaters. This is for two reasons - the fertiliser aspect, and keeping the algae down.

As far as fish poop being good fertiliser goes - you all should see my potplants now that I give them aquarium water!

Cheers

Judy

Fish water is an excellent fertiliser.

Nitrogen in quite large quantities (as found in fish poop and soluble nitrogen such as ammonia and its derivatives) is essential for the plant since large amounts are needed to produce the carbon fixing enzyme for photosynthesis. Lack of nitrogen means they can't make this enzyme, can't collect enough energy, and die once their reserves have been used up.

Summary: Fish water has lots of nitrogen which is good for plants.

If you're into organic growing and stuff (or even if, like me, you don't really care whether it's organic or not as long as it tastes good) you could use it on your veges instead of a regular fertiliser. If you use the waste water from your tanks to water your garden, you both save water and the plants will do well out of it.