Okay, dumb question but it's late at night....

Whiskeysgirl

Ok, checking tanks for Ph, Nitrites, ammonia... one tank that had the most recent water change has Ph of around 7, all good with that, other tests fine. Problem is that the other 4 tanks are showing Ph of 6, is this most likely because they are due for water changes or could there be a more sinister cause for such a drop between the tanks??? 3 of the four are 30, 45 and 60 litre tanks, with only 3 or 4 fish currently in residence in each, 4th is 165 ltr comm tank, reasonably well stocked but not over stocked,all tanks are lightly planted, one has driftwood for it's resident Plec. Will do water changes tomorrow anyway and re-test on sunday, just looking for opinions as to cause really, or am i just being a noob???? Anything else i should be looking at or doing??? not wanting to mess around with chemicals, just want stable Ph with happy fish. Thanks in advance :)

i don't worry about ph as it will only effect the fish if it changes rapidly. I am on tank water so can't have much choice on the ph & i keep africans. my ph is about 7 which is not what africans are "supposed" to be in but i have seen no change in their colour, behaviour, breeding patterns or anything at all over the three months they have been in lesser ph levels. they seem to be no different at all from when my ph was 8. they simply adjust & get on with life it seems.

thanks for your repies, water changes being done as we speak... no gas heaters being used, only the woodburner which has been used before with no apparant problems...i figure that stable is better than lots of changes, just kinda got me that the tanks could be so different...

Not a dumb question - there are no such things :D

My tap water is 7.4 - 7.6 and my discus tank sits at 6 or lower (6 is the lowest my test kit goes) and even a 50% water change hardly brings it up. It dropped as the tank matured. I have driftwood in the tank which does help keep it down.

Unless you are keeping fish that need high pH don't worry about it. More damage will be done by swings in pH than leaving it low. The more you fiddle the worse the damage will be. :D

Water will drop in PH naturally in your fish tank

Plus the bio load will help the process to happen quicker

If your doing regular water changes then your Ph shouldnt drop unless your trying to

PH isnt as important for some species though and a quick drop is alot worse then a slow drop

Keeping some africans with a PH of 7 isnt such a good thing

Most will survive but will do alot better when kept at a level closer to their natural habitat

Brad