newly renovated Discus tank :)

Dave+Amy

that's a very nice job you did. sorry to hear about the exam. one question. i have a 4 foot tank with guppies, swordtails, a few corries, GBAs, Clown Loaches, neon tetras and etc. and i'd like to start have discus, do I need to get rid of the guppies and swordtails first?

Luckyfish - I'd be wary of your tank size if you wanted Discus on top of everything else...I sold off my school of cardinals to make more room for mine :lol:

Caper - I didn't know that until a friend of mine told me, her dad knows all the stories 'cos he's a top forensics scientist in NZ :D Depressing I know..but sometimes staying up at uni until 11pm is demoralising!

:o:D:D

looks AWESOME!

will you ever put black gravel in there?

I love your echinodorus (spelling??_)!

If you're referring to my sword plant (not too flash on latin names) I think I'll need a bigger tank for it at the rate it's sprouting leaves..can anyone tell me how to prune it? (Or prevent it from growing wider) It's getting too long and some leaves are getting brunt by the heater during waterchanges.

I don't want the tank darker..my Discus might go darker in colour - I like the lighter gravel because it pushes the main focal point onto the fish making them stand out even more :D besides taking out the gravel would just be a nightmare I'd imagine :o

I'm wanting to prune it for its own good..being contantly cooked by the heater can't be very good for it and I can't relocate the heater because the electric cord isn't long enough...I think you'll like it down here, so many stores to choose from!

Still can't decide how I want to decorate my Angel tank yet..since I have a natural them for Discus I want to go different with the Angels

Could I put slate in (or would that alter pH)?? I quite like how yours is all layered - I'm thinking about having a couple of slates standing up or leaning vertically surrounding by the sag you gave me..but what can I have as foreground plants.

Not wanting glosso because of lighting requirements and anubias grow too slowly, was thinking hairgrass but then they need high lighting too. If i have 10,000K glowlux lighting would that be sufficient enough?

where did you get your schist from? local gardening place?

How did you prevent your schist sheets from slipping? I'm thinking if I'm wanting vertical ones then I'd better stick them down before they fall over and smash the side of the tank. I've never had any success with hairgrass :( they get all dusty then die..which I don't understand.

local landscaping place. cheap as chips.

no need to stick them down, just stack them sensibly and you shouldnt have a problem. small pieces used as support.

or you could get some schist and stick the pieces together and form a structure that suits your liking - araldite will work. im imagining something like an obelisk?

stop using big words...brain not coping...lol

but aren't you scared that if you pour water too fast/hard into your tank it might push those schists?

Does anybody know of a glue that I can use to stick schist pieces together with? no leaching of chems etc

araldite is the glue. im unsure if silicone will work, but if it does then use that haha

not scared of rocks falling over haha. im not gentle with the way i do water changes. water either gets dumped into the tank with buckets when i feel nice like this morning or gets squirted into the tank at high pressure with a garden hose.

get dave to stack the schist. hahaahahahahaa. they wont fall over then (please dont kill me, its just men are better at building things) :o again don't hurt me.

You will need more than your lunch money (unless you have big lunches) as they have a LOT to choose from! We stopped in on our way home from conference. My eye caught some fish I think RD (the owner) said were blue Dempseys. Gorgeous fish but they would kill most of the other inhabitants in my tank so they had to stay where they were :(

Ahhh Caryl,

You dissapoint me waht with your skill and that big pond and that lovely tank in the lounge...just get another tank...lol

You know you can fall ino the world we know as MTS.

Look at it this way

Buddie would have 2 places to land and Grant could sit between the 2?

Navarre

My eye caught some fish I think RD (the owner) said were blue Dempseys. Gorgeous fish but they would kill most of the other inhabitants in my tank so they had to stay where they were :(

You wouldnt need too big a tank to keep a pair of EBJD(electric Blue jack dempseys) :D

...I eat a lot..... :( plus I've figured saving 3 weeks' worth of lunch money could total around $150 if not more...going by at least $10 per day...lol and maybe I'll allow some of my work money go towards it

Besides I go into shops with things in mind - I NEVER buy things I wasn't planning on :)

(takes me usually 3hours when shopping for a new pair of jeans...)

I CANNOT wait!!