Pest Plants

JarrenB

Hi, can anyone fill me in on why under pest plants on the main FNZAS page there is so many well known aquarium plants some that I've had myself in the past.

for example oxy weed, I've had this in my tanks many times before then i could not find it for sale anymore this must be why. :(

It is highly invasive and will take over any stream that is is dumped in

This is a page from NZ bio security

This pest is in New Zealand.

Other common name: lagarosiphon

Description

Lagarosiphon is a submerged bottom-rooting perennial which grows up to 5 m tall. Leaves are arranged spirally around the stem, and are curved backwards or downwards. All other oxygen weed species have leaves arranged in groups (whorls) of three to eight, rather than alternately. Tiny pinkish flowers are produced.

Impact

Lagarosiphon grows quickly, forming dense mats which block waterways and displace native plants. It is a major weed in hydroelectric dams, also impeding irrigation, drainage and other water uses.

What to do

Contact your regional council to determine the status of this species and responsibility for control and/or advice on control.