Cheap lighting

axolotl-danio

I want to get a light for my 2 foot tank. Nothing special does not have to be able to keep plants alive (although that would be good) just make the tank look nice. Currently I am using a 20watt desk lamp that just is not bright enough. What would you recommend (no more than $30 if possible).

seems to be, the plants are still growing well but they're going sideways cause i've had to point the light in from the side. When I replace the light in the hood next week i'll put the lamp over the glass top fry tank, should work well on there. You can get desk lamps to fit normal bulbs for about $20 from the warehouse usually. Or try tm.

If you go to Mastertrade or Cory's they have all sorts of Fluoro fittings (used for garages and stuff) so they might fall into your budget, also have a look at Mega Mitre10 or Supercheap Auto. These aren't going to have your special plant growing bulbs but meet your interim requirements :D

Mitre 10 do a daylight range of powersaving lamps, the Osram ones are best.

Check the end of the box to make sure it says 6500K as the colour temperature.

You won't get any thing that you class a 'cheap' from the electrical wholesalers in the two foot range, it is not a common size as far as their purchasing goes, and for the base batten fitting alone you are probably looking at the thick end of seventy dollars trade, that is without lamps, reflector or wiring.

Size is not everything!

Four and five foot fittings used to be the best selling sizes for commercial and industrial fitouts, so all the components were made in bulk at a cheaper rate.

A two or the even more rare three foot fitting have different running gear inside, that are subject to the opposite, ie. produce a few at a higher rate, therefore the cost per unit is higher, despite the actual end product being shorter in length!

2 and 4 foot tubes are used in the fittings in drop cielings - every office will have hundreds of one or the other size, or both.

3 foots are used... ummmmm not many places... Simple economies of scale going on.

Seems that all the cheap battens in mitre10 etc are still magnetic ballasts - that with an aquarium tube makes for some funny blue/red ripples on the surface of moving water since the 2 phosphors have quite different glow times.