Blue spot pleco.

kiwiplymouth

A mate is in ch-ch and saw a blue spot plec that I might get him to grab for me.

It has no L number and is described as being brown/grey with iridescent blue spots over its entire body. It has bristles on its nose so I suppose its a member of the ancistrus family.

Can anyone give me more info on this plec or direct me to a photo.

I have heard of a few of these in the shops lately.

Cheers

hey kiwi there is some discussion as to exactly what a "white spotted blue pleco " or a blue spotted pleco or a starlight or a snowspot ansistrus is :o see my point anyway i reckon a blue spotted plec is in fact an L100 should have bristles it should have a solid white strip on its tail fin right at the end that starts at the tip and ends at the bottom there is alot of confusion around this plec as to what it exactly is its either an L100 or an L213 either way i have bred this ansistrus and have many babies on growing (around 2-3cm mark )

on planetcatfish mine look like but not exactly to L100 heres a link as mine dont photgraph so well ( there spots dont show ive tried in previous photos )

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/im ... us+sp(l100)&image_id=4749

as you can see the white stripe on the tail ,these are ansistrus and veggie eaters last one i saw in aucks was selling for $180

mine wont be that expensive but i cant exactly confirm its the same plec either but very very similar i dont think the photo on planetcatfish resembles its true colour or maybe mine need a better photographer

hth

mr pleco

p.s sorry link dosent seem to wanna work try searching planetcatfish for L100

yep kiwi very common in aussie and id love to have some unfortunatley they are not available in newzealand as yet they do have the white strip on the tail bit not on the dorsal ray but then again i havent viewed the plec in question if it has both white strips then you are on the money as its a Ancistrus dolichopterus or L 183 and a good buy be probably the only one in nz but i fear its a L100 but at least you know how to tell the difference now huh 8)

yep kiwi very common in aussie and id love to have some unfortunatley they are not available in newzealand as yet they do have the white strip on the tail bit not on the dorsal ray but then again i havent viewed the plec in question if it has both white strips then you are on the money as its a Ancistrus dolichopterus or L 183 and a good buy be probably the only one in nz but i fear its a L100 but at least you know how to tell the difference now huh 8)

Thanks again for your input and information.

I was saddened and shocked to hear of your recent violation.

Please don't let it stop you from posting on this site.

Your knowledge is invaluable to people like myself who aspire to follow in your footsteps.

By the way all of the plecs that I got from your are thriving :hail::hail::hail:

Yep I Recon he's a L100

2009_04140019.jpg

2009_04140020.jpg

2009_04140021.jpg

2009_04140022.jpg

You better put me on the list for a couple of Females mr pleco :D

yep by the rear fins id say a juvinelle male but could be wrong bristles will increase with age and get bushy if they start heading up the nose and forehead its male if they stay round the lips its female

got heaps how many females do you want ? lol too young to sex at the moment so its pot luck

question does it darken clouor in the tank and go almost black ? because it looks stress coloured which is normal for it being held out of water also does its tail have a solid white stripe or two wite marks at each tip ? this will decide which one you have as i have both

yep by the rear fins id say a juvinelle male but could be wrong bristles will increase with age and get bushy if they start heading up the nose and forehead its male if they stay round the lips its female

got heaps how many females do you want ? lol too young to sex at the moment so its pot luck

question does it darken clouor in the tank and go almost black ? because it looks stress coloured which is normal for it being held out of water also does its tail have a solid white stripe or two wite marks at each tip ? this will decide which one you have as i have both

yep his colouring is solid (not patchy) in the tank and is dark brown.

He has no white strip on the tail just a white mark at the top of the tail, I couldnt see a white mark at the bottom.

I will let him mature to be sure of his sex and then contact you to find him a partner.

Cheers

Could that be the same "bluespot plec" i asked you about awhile ago do you think mr pleco? I know the one i looked at was still there last time i looked but i think i got offside with the main fish person at the shop when i questioned if it really was what they said. Shame too cause i was getting some real good deals from them.

Was the price on it $200 kiwiplymouth?

THe one i looked at had a price of $200 but they said i could have it for $100

ok heres some crappy photos of my male but hopefully you can see what i mean by white stripe on tail and bushy nose

starlights013.jpg

starlights019.jpg

and heres mum with a bubba

starlights015.jpg

thats one of the species the other is just like yrs kiwi same markings lees dark more brown and white tips on tail but not a stripe ..i think they are two different L numbers but cant exactly locate which one

Thanks for the pic's. Mine definately doesn't have the tail strip, is more brown in colour and the spots are easier to see. Must be like your 2nd undetermined species.

I am devoting another 5 footer to pleco's in a week or two ( Im thinking of putting a divider or 2 in it for breeding. I am always on the lookout for more species. Please PM if you can help. Cheers. :hail: