MAF's Facilities

breakaway

Hi Guys,

Ive heard that if you want to import some fish, you have to go throught MAF and quarantine them for 6 weeks.

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of place MAF has to hold these fish in? Like filters, water changes, etc.

Just wondering if any1 knows, or has a link where I can find all the above information.

Thanx

You have to do heaps to get a quarantine facility registered. For specifics, do your own research.:) But you have to submit the design to MAF before you build it, if they accept that you then have to build it(Duh) and have a lot of specific procedures in place, you have to then get the whole facility licensed you have to chlorinate any waste water, have the fish inspected at your own expense something like 3 times over the quarantine period, blah blah blah...Pain in the ass, but it sounds doable.

• 2 weeks later...

I know people who run Quarantine for both comerical and personal use. There is very little to it, and the costs are minimal. Lots of paper work and permits from the council etc but not a biggie. I know a guy who set one up just so he didn't have to buy stuff from the shops, never sold anything just for his own use. Don't be put off if your serious and have a few grand laying about.

As for brining in stuff not on the lists and how hard it is to bring stuff in, not sure I agree with that either. We all know people with Koi, Lion Fish, Starfish, Soft corals, Mushrooms etc. Its all about and not to hard to find if you really want them, you can have them. From what I understand MAF are really worried about the 'noxious pest' list, everything else is treated without to much fuss. YMMV.

I would like to see how other countries have animals imported. I think NZ would be one of the more strict.

Keep in mind NZ is very isolated and doesn't have many nasty critters. It also has very unique native species. Many overseas species would easily out compete our native for survival and end up extinct. MAF is protecting our environment. We do have fairly strict importation rules as a result.

We also don't need to worry about spiders when we put on our shoes or use the loo and don't need to worry about getting bitten or eaten in the bush...