sales ban

Reptor

was in the local pet shop today, when the guy in there told me they are no longer aloud

to sell blue tounges,i believe this is just the auckland area for now, also that site we can say the name of doesnt seem to have as many lizards for sale as normal,whats happening people has anyone heard anything bout this,are we bout to take a shafting from our friends at maf & doc, im not liking the sounds of this :evil: i also noted that our beloved blueys, breadys & water dragons were not on the nz reptile list yet, leopard geckos & tortoises are i dont like what i can see coming...........

thats good if you not from auckland, im just saying this is the start of things to come,

as i said they are not listed as a ownable reptile and leopard geckos which have only just be come on the market are,from what ive seen in the past banning reptiles, dogs etc i can easy tell you your govement dont care bout ya pet, may take a while yet but sales ban in auckland is not a good start

been mooted for ages.No one seems to know what is actually in place or if it is in fact law?(bylaw?)They seem to be more concerned about their ability to produce live young rather than lay eggs which then have to incubate.If they knew anything about anything They should be more concerned about the water dragons.Much more active and able to survive cold winters and maybe even able to breed in some microclimates?I can`t see a blueslug,I mean tongue being much of a threat to many native animals?I know someone that breeds alot of bt`s forsale in petshops and his akld sales have certainly dropped off.

Hiya, as far as I know this is only in the Auckland region. Check out the ARC website's Regional Pest Management Strategy http://www.arc.govt.nz/environment/plan ... s_home.cfm and click on "RPMS Part II Animal Pest Management..." section. Reptiles are on page 119.

Some other reptiles seem to be considered pests "only when not held in secure containment", but they claim there is "sufficient evidence to place restrictions on sale and breeding" of blue tongues in Auckland. I have been in touch with ARC to try to figure out what this "sufficient evidence" is. This apparently does not affect the "the keeping of existing blue-tongue skinks as pets for the term of their natural life".

If anyone has any other info, please let us know.

you are right, it is a Regional council law for this region only, I have been keeping tags on different sales and some people are contacted others not, just typical when beuracrats make rulings on things they don't know anything about and then go about inforcing them half assed just confusing everyone.