wtd-ideas for design for sump that sits on tank.Please.

Lynnie

Just purchased a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank. It has no holes drilled for an under tank sump.

I have seen a long sump that sits on top of tank. It had a power head in tank up to sump, water then goes through sump and straight back into tank out the other end. Would like to make one of these, any ideas or plans would be great help. :hail::hail::hail:

Keen to have it run straight back in as we are rural and dont want water flooding house if power cut. Thanks.

Hi Lynnie,

Contact TM.

Years and years ago he had a sump system like you are talking about for a breeding set up.

You could look at several ways of doing this depending on how pretty you want it.

Anything from a plastic bin thru to a glass race with all sorts of media in it.

You could even put in an in line heater or put it in your roof with just a pipe running to and from.

HTH

Navarre

Sounds good to me. The one i saw only had one powerhead in the tank. It was a grunter with a 3mtr lift, with it in one end of the trough and other just run back into tank. Love the spray bar idea too.

Why livingart did you use two powerheads in the trough? Wouldnt they be of slower pump range or the water would flow too quick and fast.

thank you for your help. :hail:

used 2 troughs so 2 powerheads

powerheads were on undergravel filters as well for awhile

used this on marine and fresh water

created wet and dry in the baffle arrangement

leave baffles down from top of trough to allow water to flow past for blockages in media

for awhile i grew acorus rush in the media for the archer fish to shoot bugs out of

you get a bit of noise with the waterfall effect

to make quieter i hung a strip of windbreak to allow water to trickle back to tank or pipe should do

Is it for fresh water or salt water?

You could wander down to your LFS and have a look at how a Jebo tank is setup, they have a filter in the hood similar to what you are describing.

BTW drilling a tank is very easy, or you can use a weir, so don't let the lack of a hole put you off setting up a conventual under tank sump. It would give you far more room and flexibility. There are also some other down sides to having the sump above the display, like, access, water level issues, and the risk of having that water up there.

Just out of interest, can someone draw a picture of where a sump hole should be? Mines in the end pannel about 5cm from the top.

are there any set rules for it ? i have seen them in a multitude of locations - sometimes it depends on how the sump is being used, but theres a whole host of variables.

so its basically a custom top filter i made a small 1 out of a klip klap container and im using an ar 620 top filter sitting on top of my goldfish tank . if you made a hood up for the tank it could even be disquised easily

are there any set rules for it ? i have seen them in a multitude of locations - sometimes it depends on how the sump is being used, but theres a whole host of variables.

Yeah it depends on what type of drain pipe you want to have. What noramally seems to happen is salt water tanks tend towards having the hole at the bottom of the tank, with a stand pipe and over flow box. Fresh water setups tend to just have a hole near the top and just a grill over the outlet. But there are no hard and fast rules.

BTW drilling a tank is very easy

I allways thought that it was a bit of trouble doing that as you had to cut the pice of glass out of the tank to be able to do this.

are there any set rules for it ? i have seen them in a multitude of locations - sometimes it depends on how the sump is being used, but theres a whole host of variables

Ive even seen holes drilled into the base for the overflow with a pipe that goes straight up to the desired water level.

Have had a look at that Wayne but not keen on it at the back at all would be a pain to clean out, and i am a shortie so no go, would have to put up scaffording to get at it. :lol:

I do like the set up. Got a few ides from it. measurments ok. Thank you for sharing this.

• 1 month later...