Virgin females trap

cees

When attempting proper line breeding of guppies it is vital to separate about 6-8 females from the rest of a litter at 4-6 weeks and keep them virgin. To safe tank space common practice is to place the females inside a 'breeding trap' in the same tank as their siblings. Over the years I've tried everything from home made to store bought traps with netting. Nothing really worked well in the long term. Traps with netting gets dirty, difficult to clean. Home made is well, you know, home made. Never been able to find a plastic mesh that would do the job well enough long term. And the cost of raw materials isn't worth the effort to make something yourself really.

A popular trap with guppy breeders overseas (USA) is a lustar picture window breeding trap.

LPWB-LF.jpg

In Stephen Kwartler video he shows the use of these traps for guppy breeding. These traps are not available in New Zealand , and believe me I've tried.

I found a place in US that can supply these traps. I'm going to buy a box full LPWB-LC Large Breeder Box, coarse mesh 6" x 5 1/4" x 5";. To keep shipping cost down I'm willing to share some of these traps with you all. Cost per trap will be about NZ$10. Please email or PM me with expression of interest and number required. I'd like to get order out this weekend.

Might be worth a read before you order.

Bill

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=105

Hi Bill,

yes I read that and it's a good design and under different circumstances I would give 'home made' another go. I'm just at the stage where I want to 'breed guppies' and use what the pro's use. For now at least, I've 'experimented' enough.

It's a bit like golf. If only I could afford to buy a 'Cobra Steel driver' I might one day hit the ball like Tiger W

http://www.rolemodel.net/tiger/tiger.htm

Hi Bill,

yes I read that and it's a good design and under different circumstances I would give 'home made' another go. I'm just at the stage where I want to 'breed guppies' and use what the pro's use. For now at least, I've 'experimented' enough.

It's a bit like golf. If only I could afford to buy a 'Cobra Steel driver' I might one day hit the ball like Tiger W

http://www.rolemodel.net/tiger/tiger.htm

It is very important that the young females are separated from the young males.If you haven't got the tank-space the breeding traps would be very important, and $10 is very reasonable.

Remember if you are having trouble deciding if your fry are male or female, treat them as a male.Better to loose a few females than ruin all the work you have put into your new strains.If your fry are well fed you should be able to start separating the females from 3 weeks up to about 5 weeks.Look for the gravid spot, when you get a bit more practice visually you will notice the young males and females are shaped differently.

Peter

I've order 12 breeding traps and will keep you posted on what they are like.

$10/each is very reason. I was at animates this afternoon and the net-type breeding trap that I've used before (and just doesn't cut it) was $8.95 if I remember correctly.

separating the females from 3 weeks up to about 5 weeks.Look for the gravid spot, when you get a bit more practice visually you will notice the young males and females are shaped differently.

Peter

Another clue is the anal fin. With practice you'll be abe to see that they males is pointed and the female is more rounded.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks pater

i have two types that float i find them easy than having to clip on the side

of the tank as most of my tanks have glass that comes out from the side

and with clips u have to have the water to the top of the tank.

thanks pater

i have two types that float i find them easy than having to clip on the side

of the tank as most of my tanks have glass that comes out from the side

and with clips u have to have the water to the top of the tank.

The traps Cees is talking about are more like small aquariums inside a larger one.They give your virgin female guppies plenty of space to swim and grow,and kept away from their brothers until you are ready to put your best one or two males in with them for breeding.