International mailorder experiences please

RnB

korralin c3001 calcium reactor from ReefOnline in Aussie

http://www.reefonline.com.au

natalie is really helpful, great pre-sales service. however i did feel that once the money was paid, the service or speed of delivery was no longer as important as promised. not that much cheaper than ordering locally after shipping and GST.

perastaltic dosing pump from STM in UK

http://www.stm-shop.co.uk

crap service, they delivered the wrong model. couldnt order using nzl credit card. had to get my aunty in london to pay and I paid her. my cousin brought it back for me. they didnt offer any compensation or extra service for their screw ups. weren't overly interested in my order. price was ok, nothing overly cheap though (especially after shipping)

iwaki 55rlt pump from Marine Depot in the USA

http://www.marine-depot.com/

brilliant (i mean BRILLIANT) pre-sales service. extremely fast response - within 5 - 10 minutes email replies (before 12pm NZL time as it's after 6pm they day before over there!) Josh provided quite possibly the best service I have ever had in dealing with purchasing a product. Couldnt commend him more. Of course, the pump hasnt been delivered yet so I wont speak too soon :D Should arrive 4 - 6 weeks (because they have to order in the 240V model) pump works out to be 35% cheaper AFTER shipping and nzl gst. Only (minor) issue was that I had to pay via PayPal as they need address verification if paying via Credit card and my bank wouldnt allow that.

I purchase from Marine Depot all the time. Recently, I have gotten an AmpMaster 3000 pump, books, test kits (to fill up the order), Hamiton 14K 250W DE bulbs, etc... I think that they are great and will continue to order from them in the future. It helps that I have family in the States, so I have the items initially sent to them from Marine Depot (free shipping within the US) and then have them ship it to me (avoids GST and cheaper shipping options). 8)

JoeBlog - wanna make a couple of bucks?!!!...

:D:D:D

I'm not interested in making a buck on the deal, but more than happy to help out another reefer. You've already helped me out heaps with your posts on your new in-wall tank! :D I've gotten quite a few ideas from you for when I get around to doing the project myself.

I will be putting another order in shortly for the new 1" SCWD (when it comes out supposedly at the end of the month) and a couple more of the Hamilton bulbs. You are more than welcome to piggy back on that order for a few things. The only problem is that my Dad gets a bit pissy about big heavy boxes. I pay the shipping, but I don't think he likes having to drag it down to the post office. When I bought my AmpMaster, I had to hear about it for weeks! :evil: All that means is that if you wanted a lot of stuff, we may have to space it out over a few orders. I have quite a few mates back there as well who I am sure would be willing to play the middle man as well. I will let you know when I am doing the order for sure. Are you in a big hurry for a particular item? What is your e-mail so that I can let you know?

As for future purchases, I am thinking about getting an oceansmotion 4-way. I e-mailed the guys and they said that a 240V motor should be available soon. It would be great if there were a few of us NZ reefers interested so that we could possibly get a bulk order discount as well as share on the shipping costs.

If freight cost is an issue, you can get from Custom Aquatics, they will send to NZ by much cheaper post than Marine Depot. Also they have SCWD in stock now, I already got one from them in my tank.

I dealt with both Custom Aquatics and Marine Depot, Marine Depot is excellent service, just they will only send by expensive freight. Custom Aquatics the service is sometimes a bit sloppy, but they generally have the best prices on the net. To deal with them they require you to send them a pic of both sides of your credit card if you're an overseas customer, opening the account was a hassle, but now it's open dealing with them is easy enough.

If freight cost is an issue, you can get from Custom Aquatics, they will send to NZ by much cheaper post than Marine Depot. Also they have SCWD in stock now, I already got one from them in my tank.

I dealt with both Custom Aquatics and Marine Depot, Marine Depot is excellent service, just they will only send by expensive freight. Custom Aquatics the service is sometimes a bit sloppy, but they generally have the best prices on the net. To deal with them they require you to send them a pic of both sides of your credit card if you're an overseas customer, opening the account was a hassle, but now it's open dealing with them is easy enough.

This is definitely true about Custom Aquatics. If I didn't have friends and family in the US in order to avoid the GST issue, I would most likely go through them. The only thing is that service is paramount to me and I have heard from other people as well that this is a down fall for them.

Are you sure that Custom Aquatics has the 1" SCWD? I just checked their webpage and could only find the 3/4", which translates into something like a 1/2" ID tube (bad news for pumps that aren't pressure rated). I already have one of these and used my Dremmel to bore the holes out a bit more! :D Even with this though, the flow is still a problem.

Doesn't the SCWD only come in one size? I've looked on the net and only see them making 1 size.

Also how did your bore it out with a dremal? Wouldn't the pipe in the moving parts (the gears) remain the same size so dremaling out the 3 pipes (1 in & 2 out) wouldn't make any difference at all, even if you cut them off?

I have a SCWD for sale, make me an offer.

Pies

Actually you are correct, they only have the 3/4 inch SCWD. It has reduced flow although I'm not sure by what %.

Like you I have friends in the US and have used this to get stuff from Marine Depot, but can only do this if someone is coming to NZ. In this way I got a skimmer that is not available here, but if they had freighted it would have cost megabucks.

Rest of the time I deal with Custom Aquatics, have to ride out the frustration, delays and absense of response to my emails, but everything I have ordered has turned up in the end.

GST? I never paid any.

Actually you are correct, they only have the 3/4 inch SCWD. It has reduced flow although I'm not sure by what %.

Like you I have friends in the US and have used this to get stuff from Marine Depot, but can only do this if someone is coming to NZ. In this way I got a skimmer that is not available here, but if they had freighted it would have cost megabucks.

Rest of the time I deal with Custom Aquatics, have to ride out the frustration, delays and absense of response to my emails, but everything I have ordered has turned up in the end.

GST? I never paid any.

3iQ Ventures is coming out with a 1" version supposedly by the end of the month. I had an e-mail from them some time ago, but can't seem to find it now. Unfortunately, their service leaves little to be desired as well since they are no longer returning e-mails over this past month. To give them the benifit of the doubt, they may be getting swamped with people anxious to get the new version. There are quite a few threads on RC talking about it as well.

Pies-As for drilling it out, I got the idea off of the RC. I was skeptical myself at first, but had nothing to lose since I wasn't really happy with the performance. After drilling out the holes, it seems to be much better. There is a thread on RC that has taken one of them apart, and it appears as though there is quite a bit of room on the interior of the device and the point of restriction is really the input/output holes. At any rate, I am a bit happier now that they are larger. It will eventually be replaced with OM 4-way anyway. It's just a cheap way of getting a bit more "random" flow in the tank in the mean time.

WASP-As for not paying GST, how do you get around it. Every time that I have mail ordered, it gets stopped in Auckland, they give me a call for my credit card in order to pay for the customs taxes (which I assume are GST). :cry:

why dont you try going thriough a local freight forwarder i use combined cargo in palmy (for my job not fish stuff yet) Ray Fleet is brilliant. The problem with letting anyone in the us organise freight is that there is such a large range of freight companys organising such a relatively low rate of freight comming into new zealand that they dont get good rates freight forwarders will get much rates. Also they will inform you that if it comes in by sea freight the customs clearence is rather high if you are bringing in a small light package sometimes it can be cheeper to air freight when it comes down to the additional fees we get at our end.

Has anyone thought of getting a group of people together to put in one massive order a 20' container from the us cost nz$5,000 plus us internal freight and your freight forwarder should not be left to organise that the trucking is run by the mob so you need somone in america that has the right connections to get around the jacked up internal freight prices. But a 20' container is a hell of a lot of reef gear and some pretty neat looking tanks

Quote - "WASP-As for not paying GST, how do you get around it. Every time that I have mail ordered, it gets stopped in Auckland, they give me a call for my credit card in order to pay for the customs taxes (which I assume are GST). "

Don't know. I did not make any attempt to avoid it, it just never happened.

Quote - "WASP-As for not paying GST, how do you get around it. Every time that I have mail ordered, it gets stopped in Auckland, they give me a call for my credit card in order to pay for the customs taxes (which I assume are GST). "

Don't know. I did not make any attempt to avoid it, it just never happened.

:o Wow, you should be stoked!! Maybe it was due to me making such a large order for pumps, etc... Was the quantity (size of package) and price of goods ordered quite small? Chimera has also made reference to this GST cost. So, I don't think that I am an outlier.

Customs duty is calculated on the value of the goods (some are exempt). GST is then calculated on the duty inclusive value plus international freight and insurance. Products (except ciggy's) under $50 are exempt from duty and GST. There are also certain products types that are completely exempt from duty too. See here for a list:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/private+importers/customs+charges.asp

No matter how you look at it, you will get shafted by Customs... :-?