dry cat food as fish food

silver-foxx

anyone else tried this ?

I was eating my lunch ( peppered steak pie ) in the fish room yesterday and my red jewel cichlid fry 3 mo were at the glass saying ' can we have some ' so I threw in a peice of the crust and watched them devour it..this gave me an idea so I got some of my cats dry food and gave them some which they put away at short notice.

now this begs the question should I keep paying for over priced pellets from LFS ??

comments please. :P

Many people do feed their big fish cat food, but I wouldn't advise it. Fish have different dietary needs than cats so they may or may not thrive on cat food. Will they survive? possibly.

EG fish have trouble digesting mammalian fats but cats dont.

Yeah there are theories about the whole feeding cold blooded animals warm blooded fats they are not designed to process it and the extra fat has to go somewhere, theories are feeding these types of food while the fish may eat them shorten the fishes lives and cause problems. Also I think the fish food companies do extensive research on the dietary needs of fish and try and tailor the food towards this, the cat/dog food companies will do the same for dogs/cats which will require different things.

I don't really think anyone can put their hand on their heart and say it is or isn't bad but I don't think it would be good.. My daughter would happily eat lollies for breakfast, KFC for lunch and MC D's for tea every day, it doesn't mean it is good for her :)

There are ways and means of feeding lots of fish cheaply, quality flake can be purchased in bulk, live food can be cultured and you can make large quantities of frozen food cheaply.

I have done it with monster fish... and not with the smaller fish.

when you look at the breakdown of proteins etc, its not too bad... but some fish are better at being able to assimilate the constituents of cat food than others.

the most crucial bit when feeding small fish, is the effect of cat food on the swim bladder.

ive often in the past fed malnourished giant fish cat food (eukanuba) with great results. Aros and gars love it. (even birds that have plucked them selves, or have no feathers can be fed cat food to promote feather growth).

I've been feeding our goldfish left over cat food as one of our cats only lick the jelly off and leave the rest. The fish hang out for it and are circling round before I get the dish into the bottom of the pond. They love it.

Interesting information about warm blood proteins and fats and cold blooded proteins.

I hope they don't develope a type of CJD syndrome and go mad!!!

Thank goodness I don't eat goldfish.