Ideas for a 45L tank

je_suis_ketan

Hey all.

I haven't been around on the forums for a while due to me not having any fish :cry: But I'll be shifting to a new place with my partner. She already has a 45L tank and I want to set it up next weekend. Just wondering if anyone has ideas on what fish would be good to put in it.

Previously I had a 200L when I lived in auckland and my experience was with Gourami's (Pearl), Clown Loaches, Plecos, Fighters and a school of Tetras.

I'm quite keen to try Angels but I'm thinking that a 45L will be too small? If so, how quickly do angels grow i.e. if I got babies how long would I be looking at before upsizing the tank?

Any input would be great thanks :bow:

cheers,

Ketan :wink:

Angels grow faster in a bigger tank. You'd be ok with 2 small angels in a 45 L tank, but they'd need about 100 - 150L when they grow up.

Personally, I'd go with smaller fish, then you could have more of them. How about some dwarf cichlids, or killis or something?

yeah, dont get angels in a 45L tank. not unless they are tiny and will be put in a much larger tank later on. I just got an angel from a 40L tank and it has a deformed spine cause it got stunted.

there are heaps of smaller coler fish out there, agazzis, steel-blues, killis etc etc.

Redwoods has killis for sale...gardenari (spelling) and some others as do bubble and squeak occasionally

also you could troll the posts and most with a number below their names are killi club members and will help you out.

in ChCh try TM or Alanmin as regular posters from memory.

Navarre

killies in some nice planting get my vote for a tank that size for sure. Or even a nice amount of guppies in some very simple planting like vallis looks good - you can plant the whole tank out in it and keep different sections trimmed at different lengths. looks great.

Killies in a planted tank would look nice, there are a few NZKA members down south.

There is a nice pair of Fundulopanchax sjostedti - King killies - in the killie auction up here this weekend.