Help on Monday with turtles in Auckland!!!

DonnaM

Random request, but I've just had someone say they can travel to Auckland from Whangarei on Monday to collect 2 female turtles for rehoming. Is there anyone nearish the airport that could look after them for a few hours as I'd be bringing them up from CHCH and wont have anywhere to put them while I'm there. :( They could be dry docked for the day so wouldn't need a tank, just a box and some towels. This wasn't something that had been planned, but it would be fantastic to rehome these 2 girls, so I'm asking a huge favour of anyone in Auckland....nearish the airport??? We arrive in Auckland at .. 7am :o:o:o and plan to walk to butterfly creek by 9am. So theres a couple of hours there I could arrange to get them to someone. Debi could either collect them from you and/or I'd come back to collect them and meet her at the airport. Anyone able to help?? :D:D

Please let me know ASAP

You could email [email protected] if you want. :D

Pics of alligators....Will do...tho I cant post them on here yet :roll: I went to Dunedin butterfly farm and got a photo of the giant day gecko. That was cool!

Also Norman starts work at 7.30 am and so we can take turtles straight there from our 7am flight! :D Big relief, and Debi will meet us at Butterfly Creek at 4.30pm.

So we'll drop off turtles, then go off in the bus and return to Butterfly creek later in day. How big is Butterfly creek? How long do you need there? I know thats difficult to estimate as everyones interests are different...but is it like Orana pk or Willowbank? Or more like Dunedin butterfly farm?

Turtles are safely delivered! Tho not without a couple of 'moments'....

Like us arriving at the airport as they were doing 'final call' for the flight :roll: Not intentional...but it was 5am...

Then being confronted with security and ALL luggage x.rayed...I'd forgotten about that as I popped my cardboard box thru the x.ray....and collected it at the other side with not a word said :o

Then, as we were right down back of plane, there was no need to hurry off, so we were the last to gather our box and bags and head down the aisle...my friend saw someone had left something in the overhead locker and jumed up on tip-toes to check...and there was a turtle right in the back of the locker, happily tucked up having a dose!!! So I rushed back, climbed on seat to retrieve 'Blossom' and pop her in friends backback as the hostess came to see if we were OK :o:o

Very entertaining looking back...but a good way to 'wake you up' when you're tired on the red-eye flight!

So we walked to Butterfly creek and left them in a fish box in a back office with a bit of water for the day. Staff at Butterfly creek were REALLY nice and friendly and helpful...one person even dropped us at a bus stop. I must say (in my own opinion), I found the butterfly part very overgrown and messy. The 7 turtles were all up basking on a great bit of driftwood, but as no direct sun for warmth/UV, and especially to dry them, they all had a thick layer of green slime over them and a couple you could see a bit of injury or white shell disease under the green. :-? Someone I spoke to said, oh they'd bite if we went anywhere near them....and the person in charge told me they had 3 turtles...but there were 7 :o :-? Great to see the alligators, 3 of them in an enclosure in the butterfly house, but too much reflection to get a photo thru the glass, (Sorry Broms2), and there was one waterdragon in another enclosure who was pretty cool. I thought the aquariums of fish and the bugs area were great. You should see the size of some of those spiders and wetas! All in all we had a wonderful, tho tiring day in Auckland...and its LOTS warmer there then it is in CHCH at the moment! :D:D