Brine Shrimp Growing on

WEKA

Thanks for the comments and links.

I made a hatchery as per the "Pegasus" link but found I could not keep the eggs in suspension in the square tank regardless of what airation I tried. Went back to the tried and tested inverted drink bottle.

My shrimp are only a little over a week old and about 5-6mm long. I have noticed today that there are a number of very small shrimp in the tank. Surely they are not breeding already!!! I am only feeding Liquidfry #1 at the moment and have done one 50% water change. I wait for the water to clear between feeds which is happening quite quickly now they are bigger.

I used top have brine shrimp growing in a plastic container. They had eggs every now and then. I didn't feed them anything, just dropped in the occasional bit of sea lettuce when I thought of it. They were in there a couple of years before the plastic degraded in the sun and the container split. Luckily I had taken it outside before that as it has been on the floor on the lounge carpet :roll:

They were kept out of minor interest, not to use as fish food. It is my understanding adult brine shrimp are somewhat lacking in the nutritional department.

WEKA said...

Thanks for the comments and links.

I made a hatchery as per the "Pegasus" link but found I could not keep the eggs in suspension in the square tank regardless of what airation I tried. Went back to the tried and tested inverted drink bottle.

WOW.... It's a while since I wrote that :):)

I was using quite a few two foot tanks for my hatcheries... and you only need a small portion boxed off for the actual eggs.... perhaps 2inches or so.

This area takes care of the hatchin only... and the larger LIT area is to contain the BS once they have hatched.

As above... Algae is great to feed them if you can grow it... or infusoria... but the formula in my article worked for me ... and we had no probs growing the shrimp to 20mm plus.

Just keep moving them on as per the directions.

We always had in excess of 10/15000 fish to feed... many of which were fry... but the bigger fish used to gorge themselves silly on the things.

Don't overfeed them though... as they are a laxative of sorts... and your fish may start refusing normal foods if you overdo it.

Once you get the knack of it.... then it all becomes sooooo easy.

Give a few away.... sell a few... or see if the LFS are interested... if you have the time... :)

There's a drawing of sorts on my website... (link under my signature)

Take care now...

Hi again,

Any good un-flavoured and un-coloured heath food will do the trick... such as non-flavoured Complan... but you could also replace it with a very finely crushed (like flour) Algae Tablet.

The food you give them should be like cloudy milk... as they are unable

to consume anything larger.