blind fish

kyla50

yesterday purchased a red zebra trio, usally i would go and view the fish before buying big mistake as we meet the woman halfway, when i got the fish home viewed them and two of the three are totally blind any ideas as to what this is or whats the cause, tried to grt her to take them back but she refuse's and says they were fine when she caught them yesterday morning what a rip off . :(

Can you post anymore pics?

My africans have had a similar problem in the past and I think it comes from the fish smashing its eye into a rock and it becoming infected.. I have treated it by dropping meth blue directly onto the eye (avoiding getting it into the gills). The graze on the eye usually clears up by itself but I put the meth blue on there so that it doesn't become infected and the fish loose its eye, more pictures should be able to clear it up futher although I haven't found fish that photogenic when it comes to taking photos of their eyes or fine details.. It sucks that the person selling the fish wont remedy the problem or even talk to you about it.. The odds of them getting eye damage in bags are very slim so if they were like that when you let them out of the bags then chances are they were like that when they were put in there, maybe that's why they met you? Of course there is every chance they have no idea what they are doing either..

Pop eye is pretty obvious the eyes would be popping right out of the head which they don't look to be doing from your photos.

will try get a better pic, and yea she would have noticed as its the 1st thing i saw when we got home and you can see that they have been blind for ages no wonder she was selling them on t-me . why people dont state problems when selling things i would have never wasted my money buying them as they are useless to me and very ugly :)

Oh well all you can do is place bad feedback so that others are warned there are plenty of dodgy dealers on there always best to try and get them from someone who knows what they're doing, from the looks of the pic you have put up they are pretty poor quality red zebras anyway but that could just be the pic.

I know that fish sometimes get cloudy eye due to stress, I found that with treating with just Stress Coat with the aloe vera in it cleared it up in the matter of days. It worked for Phoenix's Pictus Catfish when their eyes went cloudy.

Didn't it Kash?!

Im going based of the fact that the woman says they were fine. True she could be lying but if she is being honest then Im thinking it wouldnt have been damaged and more cloudy eye. Besides you cant do any damage with treating with stress coat just for the moment and seeing if that works. Before going and treating with Meth.

lol that fish isn't a red zebra either looks more like an ice blue to me red zebras should be orange or a pinky/white with a blue tinge. Typical of what you buy off trademe when you get zebras :)

Can you take another photo, I would say the best thing to do is to catch the fish take them out of the water turn your macro on and get someone to take a descent photo of the eye and don't resize them too much so we can actually see what's going on.

Phoenix there are tons of people who sell dodgy fish on trademe very common with the africans esp zebras, people buy them from all over the place and attempt to match them up with dodgy photo's off the net and they are usually hybrids.. You also get alot of the "photo off the net but fish are identical" and you show up and find a completely different fish..

I don't know if stress coat would actually do anything? I have never used it, I thought it was one of those products that fishshops pushed and sold but didn't actually do alot to actually cure anything?

Are the fish actually blind it is very hard to see what has happened in that photo it is very small, sometimes when fish are first introduced they do dart around the tank when startled and crash into stuff?

Any changes in the fishies' eyes???

Sam (goldfish) is blind. Have not a clue what happened, the only reason I noticed anything was wrong was he wasn't coming right over to me when feeding time. But that's at least a couple of years now! If you look at his eyes with a magnifying glass, it's like, umm, how to describe :-? , well instead of seeing black it looks clear!

Caper

One of my male discus was attacked by another male about 4 weeks ago and looked like he was going to be permanently blind in one eye. He definitely couldn't see out of it. It took 3 weeks and his eye has cleared up and is fine. Persevere for a bit longer.

Hi guys nah no change in there eye's i think there is nothing more to do with em, i dont think these fishes will be breeding anytime soon, but thanks for all the advise. :):)

I wouldn't be in any hurry to breed from them anyway, the last pic you posted isn't a red zebra.. It would be interesting to post some more pics of all of them and see what they are all, you may have brought a bunch of hybrids or mixed up zebras..

As adodge said sometimes the eyes get better by themselves as long as the eye isn't going fluffy then fungus hasn't set in and there is a chance, of course they could already be gone..