Update on my African tank

Ktttk

Some wrigglers in a DIY floating sanctuary

IMG_7715.jpg

The ones with the bright yellow egg sacs are the electric yellows and the the ones with the pale egg sacs are the demasonis.

IMG_7714.jpg

Grow-out tank with the juveniles

IMG_7731.jpg

If you interested in any of the fry, please PM me for details.

Yeah, its taken a while for everything to reach a nice balance and I'm pretty happy with the way it is. In the past 6 months, I've only had 1 death and that was a male demasoni from fighting. Otherwise there's enough space and fish to disperse the aggression.

The fish are looking good :) Yes dems are agro the secret is to get as many as you can afford which is what you did the 6fter would help too, are they still the originals from me or did you introduce more from different sources as well?

I can't wait for my dems to grow up and mature my 2 survivors from my original colony are breeding but not very well think the male is too hard on them as they're the biggest dems in there..

Good luck with the sales are you breeding the cobalts and kadango's too?

In the colony there are about 15 I got from you and then i added another 10 from various sources. Having a big tank and lots of fish seems to help with the aggression. There are about 8 males in that tank - there's a lot of chasing but nothing too serious.

I am also breeding the yellows and the kadangos - you can probably see them in some of the fry pics. I'm still waiting for the cobalts to breed though - if the yellows, kadangos (and peacocks) have managed to breed in the midst of the demasoni aggression, then I'm sure the cobalts shouldn't have a problem. But I'm still waiting on them - there are 10 in there so shouldn't have a problem getting a least a pair.

Sweet sounds like a good mix :) I am growing out around 20 babies from my lot have the 2 extra females and introduced a big male from a different source, probably no point as I would guess most of the dems in NZ come from the same place but you never know having lots of them is the best.. I started to thin out extra males from my original colony and that started to cause problems so think the best thing is just to leave them be.

Nice the yellows look pretty clean hard to tell from the photos you have posted, is the male kadango nice and red? Do you have some other zebras (maybe afra?)in there with the cobalts because if you do chances are he will breed with your cobalt females.. I haven't found the dem's aggression to be bad to any other fish but their own kind so I don't think they will disturb any other fishes breeding.

I'll take more photos of the yellows and kadangos later. The kadango was quite red when I initially put him in the tank - he was displaying his colours a lot and trying to establish his dominance - but I think the afra is the dominant one now so the kadango isn't coloured up as much. Thanks for the comment about the afras and cobalts - I'll keep an eye on them. If they do cross-breed I guess it'll be easy to spot as the fry would be stripey??

Wouldn't mind seeing some more pics I might be interested in some later if they're nice and you do sell any..

Generally if you want to keep the fry from zebras mixing them is like mixing peacocks a big no no.. I have seen 3 males breed with a cobalt female in my tank don't know what the fry were like (the other fish probably loved them) as I take no babies out of that tank. Difficult to tell with hybrids what the fry will look like but you would expect them to differ from both cobalts and afra, only problem with relying on the "grow them out and see" attitude is if you have the ability to hold them long enough to be 100% sure, and also the ability to do the right thing to them if they're dodgy. I would place my bet on the afra male breeding with your cobalts they are known for being quite dominant and aggressive, my big afra male is the boss in my tank not much breeding goes on without his input.

hey great looking set up and especially the fry tank but i don't understand how it is set up. it looks like the one heater services the whole tank and is running through two compartments. Does it slip in through a hole in the divider? i can see the use of stone along the bottom of the dividers, so there must be a gap in there to help with circulation. However how do ensure the fry small enough to fit in the caps don't do so and get eaten for their effort?

The one heater heats the fry tank - it is in a back compartment that spans across the width of the tank.

There are small gaps beneath all the glass dividers that allow water to circulate. I wanted to gaps to be about 1mm but some were a bit large so I slide a thin piece of fly-screen material underneath and use the stones to hold it in place. I tend to put the small fry in the left-most compartment as that has the smallest gap and then as they mature they shift towards the right.

Here is a schematic of the tank that will hopefully make it less confusing:

FryTank.png

Heated water is pumped into the compartments via the spraybar. The water then flows back into the heater compartment through the gaps under the dividers. I got the idea from Johannes' fry tank.

Funny that,,,,,,,,,,, where have we seen that before :roll: :roll:

This will teach us to keep buyers out of the fish room.

Good to see you have make a replica of our design! :D

Its a great design and I have credited you for the idea in the post above . As well as keeping healthy and happy fish, I think this hobby and this forum is also about the exchange of ideas and this forum provides a great place for this to take place.

nice looking and all ... I prefer to give my africans more places to hide :)

That set up is for fry Have a look at our photo bucket to see some of our setups

I bet heaps of member will tell you we strive to get our fish only the very best

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m151/JDVisser_2006/

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m151 ... /Tropheus/

Its a great design and I have credited you for the idea in the post above . As well as keeping healthy and happy fish, I think this hobby and this forum is also about the exchange of ideas and this forum provides a great place for this to take place.

LOL Good to see it works well, it makes keeping fry so easy !