help me...male fighter built first nest...what do i do now

fishbreeder

coz he hates it, i have an aqua one tank. the filter is on top of the tank adn the water is returned via the top, the water come into the tank in about 10 streams and my fighter is a young boy and not huge. he hates the current it creates and HIDES at the back of the tank. and wont come forward for food. i turn it on twice a day for a couple of hours.

what i want to know is how upset will he get when his nest is destroyed. will he just make another?? and when i get a girl and put him into the BREEDING tank will he blow bubbles in there or not? or will i have to leave him in it for a week or so to get used to it?

thanks

Hi, thats not good at all - the filter should not be turned off, by doing that your killing off all the good bacteria.

Maybe you need to try and slow the in flow down - I usually do it by extending the inflow pipe or have the flow hitting the wall first.

Someone here hopefully will be able to suggest more ways too.

It is a bit tricky to slow the flow on the aqua one tanks. Is the water filled as high as it can go? That will create less of a splash as it goes in.

I would suggest that the fighter will get use to it eventually, better that than kark it cos the tank is all out of kilter with a filter that is not cycled properly

the filter goes, i turn it on for most of the day. its not the filter im concerned with

my question is about my fighting fish..how will he be when his nest is destroyed??

he is a little fish, my tank is only 22L so its a small one and he has lots of trouble swimming through the current.

please stop with filter talk. what will my boy do when his nest is busted up?

Is it one of the tanks with a spray bar that goes the along the back of the tank?

If so, turn it around so that the holes face the back wall, this will deflect some of the flow.

The other thing you could try is chop the bottom off a polystyrene cup, leave a small bit of rim and put this in the front corner of the tank with the rim facing downwards - get the air out from under it first, your fish may build it's nest under here instead, and the rim should protect the nest from the water flow.

Our fighters hate our Aqua One 620 tank and always hide behind the pump, so we don't put them in it any more. You should probably replace the built in filter with a sponge filter if you want to keep betta in there.

If you want to breed the fighters, best to do it in a well set up breeding tank with a bare bottom.

You know it's people like YOU that makes me wonder why I even bother trying to help - I think from now on I'll just keep my opions to myself.

you know - I wouldn't be worried about the nest - I'd be more worried about your fish DYING from a AMMONIA SPIKE!!!!!!!!

is he the only fish in the tank? it would be best to only have the filter on all the time or not at all, aslong as the waterchanges are done (about 30-50% twice a week) he will be fine, buy turning the filter on only a little bit a day the only thing that you might achieve is removing suspended matter from the water.

he breathes at the surface not thro the water.

This is not quite correct, labyrinth fish possess an organ above the gills that allows them to absorb oxygen from the air, this allows them to live in water with a low oxygen content.

They still 'breathe' through the water, and hence the concern from other posters here that the water quality still has to be of an acceptable level for the fish to survive.

I presume by your descriptions of your tank that it is an AR320, which has a pump driven under gravel filter (UGF) with a spray bar. This is probably not a suitable tank to house your betta in in its current configuration if you are concerned about the water movement, as suggested, you could not use the UGF and put in a sponge filter instead. This will house the bacteria needed to run a healthy tank, provide some mechanical filtration and create surface disturbance to oxygenate the water.

The male betta will just build another nest if the current disappears.

fishbreeder many ppl here have tried to offer you advice as to how to best care for your fish, biting everybody's head off about when they give you advice regarding the filter is not going to win you many friends or make ppl want to offer you advice in the future.

its not underground filter, the intake pipe comes down from the top, and stops about 1 cm above the gravel. can i replace the end of intake pipe with a sponge?? it has a attachment with slits for debris to go through but not fish.

thanks

im not biting everyone heads off. ive been told i dont need a filter as long as i do regular water changes.which i am doing.

yep, throw away the filter and do 50% water change every 2 days will be fine. If the bubble nest gets broken up he will probably just build a new one if the water is still. All betta are different, they have a lot of personality, and can easily get the sulks if things are not right.

He will build another one, might sulk but no more than he will when you take him away from his precious babies :roll:

Water quality is the most important thing in getting them to breed. Leave the filter turned off rather than turn it on and off which is what will cause water quality problems. You might be able to - with a bit of fiddling run a sponge filter into the tank with an airline. Siamese fighters are air breathers but bn are not unless absolutely desperate. BN are also very messy so you should set yourself up a good water change/tank vacuum routine.

Good luck.

by BN i am guessing you mean bristlenoses. well i did have two but have a ceramic "nemo" that blows bubbles out its mouth and somehow one of then got under the gravel and into the hole in the belly and i found it today dead. so hoping the other one doesnt do same thing, ive buried it deaper in the gravel. i remove fish and clean tank each monday cleaning tank sides and gravel. and do water changes during the week. the bristlenose was not doing its job well at eating the algae.

what is wrong with using the filter to remove floating debris that is left over after feeds?. otherwise id have to change water a few times a day.

thanks heaps