MYOB Accounting Software!

Caper

I have a job interview with a company whose headquarters is in Sydney, Australia!

Bit of my background with MYOB:

My son used to use MYOB as did my ex when he had his business. Several years ago when I started to help, my son was starting his own business so I was helping the ex with his. To make a long story short, I was only becoming familiar with the program when the computer crashed. They didn't have it backed up (yes, I had warned them!). Anyway, my real introduction was to get years of information back into the system. With some help from the accountant, I was able to do so. But that was a number of years ago now.

MYOB is not used much around here. My son & I both wondered why a large company would use, what here is, an outdated program. So I google, yup, big in Australia and apparently New Zealand.

I was wondering if anybody is using this program and could offer any advice????????????? I now the version that my son and ex used was very basic and simple to use, an excellent choice considering my son was doing all the bookkeeping and never had done anything like that before and was doing an excellent job!

Anybody??????????? I have an interview next Thursday.

Caper

Hi Caper

MYOB is an Australian product, it may be company policy for all of their branches to use it worldwide.

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons,

MYOB: End of an Era

Currently, the accounting software space in Australia and New Zealand is in an interesting flux as the regional, incumbent big player MYOB downsizes New Zealand operations and was recently delisted from the Australian stock exchange after being bought by a Private Equity investment consortium.

From the newsletter we receive from our online accounting package, Xero

I have never used MYOB, but know people who do.

I think the main thing about accounting package choice is price, MYOB now requires you to pay per user or seat, so if you only have a few accounting staff using it, it may be cost effective, but if you use some of the modules such as manufacturing or have a separate and very large purchasing department, the cost will start balloon for running the package.

Also staff retraining costs could be a factor, if you change accounting packages, you have to retrain all of your staff who use it.

And, all accounting packages are not created equal, and MYOB may offer modules that work perfectly for this company, whilst others may not.

HTH

Thanks Zev!

You mentioned that you know people who use MYOB would you mind asking them, if you can, if it still a very basic program. I guess what I mean by that, like I said my son never took a bookkeeping course in his life, and was great at using this program. I am a bookkeeper so would this still be a program that is easy to use, if you know what I mean :-? Would it be difficult to get back into using it???

I don't know if I'm allowed to name the company but it is the world's largest exporter of thermal coal. The coal industry in Cape Breton used to be a major employer and a booming business in Cape Breton until a number of years ago. Now they are trying to get another mine up and running here.

Thanks,

Caper

As far as I know, MYOB was popular because it was cheap and easy to use, very basic. We have a copy of it here but never actually used it :roll:

I suspect, for your job, useage would be very basic and a matter of inputting data in the right places. No setting up of stuff or anything required.

It would depend on which version they are running, I know people still on a really old (like seven versions ago) versions because the price to upgrade it with multiple seats is now prohibitive, where as it used to support multiple seats at not much extra cost.

We use MYOB here at my work.

we are using the very early version as there has been no improvements for us to go to the newer packages.

MYOB is very good in most areas of businesses and not so good in the area of inventory control and manufacturing.

Retail industry I believe works very well.

MYOB in my mind is very easy to use, since I have no history of accounting. and also works for those that do have a history in accounting. (Ie our finanacial controller)

MYOB have in the past couple of years purchased another accounting system which is very strong in ALL areas (Exonet) but it is quite expensive. Our company would of used it if it weren't so expensive to purchase. did everything we wanted it to do though.

Thanks all for your help!

Thanks for posting the youtube on it Hans, could be handy as a refresher.

Yes, from what I recall it was an excellent program for people who never took a bookkeeping course. Hence, this was obviously an excellent program for my son to choose when he and his Dad started the business. His Dad didn't get involved in that aspect our son did all the bookkeeping and I must admit he did an excellent job! Even their accountant gave him high praises. Of course, the one downfall they didn't keep it backed up on disc apart from the computer...tsk, tsk, tsk I warned them!

Anyway, by your comments it seems that it is still an easy accounting program to use. The program I used most was Simply Accounting and used Quickbooks for a period of time.

It shall be interesting to see how the interview goes since the 2 people doing the interview, as far as I know, are from Australia, well at least the gentleman that called yesterday certainly WASN'T a Cape Bretoner :P :lol: I hope we can understand each other...2 distinct accents:lol: :lol:

Caper

I am an accountant and we use MYOB accountants office for preparing all our annual accounts, tax return, very easy to use and is what i think is an excellent program.

we also use version 16 through to 18 for our clients for their day to day accounts, very simple programs to use, doesnt take much to find your way through it, i find it has a bit more internal controls than the likes of quickbooks etc