Small Pond tips

RochelleMay

Hey guys,

I have a little art cubby outside (courtyard thing) and there is an old tiled area that used to hold a fountain.

I am planning on putting in a little fish pond, just with a couple of fish as it is an eyesore at the moment.

Measurements:

Deep: 30cm (it is currently only 20cm but Im going to add more bricks to make it deeper) Maybe even go up to 40 or 50cm depending on what mum allows me to do :)

Length: 100cm

Width: 100cm

It has a draining hole which when I tile will put mesh over to stop fish going down it when it gets water changes.

It is also going to have a statue I have just finished painting in the middle. possibly with water coming up from underneath it depending on how it is going to look and how easy its going to be.

What would you recommend for pumps for pushing the water up under the Statue?

What filter would I use?

Any help would be appreciated, I've never made my own pond so not too sure where to start after i've tiled it.

Are you asking us for suggested measurements or did you forget to add them? :-?

If the area gets full sun most of the day you will have problems with algae, unless you are able to shade it in some way.

Remember the shallower it is, the warmer the water will get in summer.

Moving water is better than still, less algae.

Any lfs can sell you a suitable pump and filter (often they are all-in-one jobs) to run the fountain.

If you plan to add a water lily or two make sure they are at the opposite end to your fountain as they dislike having water splashing them all the time. Water lilies are good for surface cover. Plant lots of plants in it too. It will help the biological cycle and give the fish plenty of hiding places so they will feel more secure. Makes it harder for cats etc to go fishing too!

Having never made, or seen, a tiled pond I can't help you there sorry. I assume you are going to seal it with something.

Oh kool, If I do decide on lillies can they be grown from cuttings? or can they be replanted easily enough?

I think the fountain will have a slow fall not to splashy, just cause the statue I have is an old concrete one I have just Repainted and I dont want to try and drill a hole in it and have it smash, its only just staying together now. :) Its hard to explain what I have in mind but I would like... (if this makes sense)

A big bowl with the statue in the middle and then the water running over the sides of the bowl into the water just to create the water movement.

Makes perfect sense and I doubt there would be much splashing from a fountain of that design.

Lilies have bulbs. Just before winter they are lifted from the pond (supposedly, I have not done so with mine yet) to winter out of water. It is at this point the bulbs are divided up into separate plants. They do not grow from cuttings. Look for someone locally who has lilies and ask for some in autumn when it is time to split them up.

I bought an inflatable paddling pool for my nephew and the label on it said that if I filled it to more than 40cm deep I would have to fence it! :o Sounds bizarre I know, but it might help you decide how deep to make your pond!

Also I assume that all the paint, grout, etc you are using is going to be safe for fish? Make sure you don't use anything with mould inhibitors or other nasty stuff.

Oh... and we would like before and after pictures please! :bounce:

only 40cm? Wow thats not much. I'll keep it in mind thanks.

Im using this grout that has been recommended to me and was used on my mums pond they didn't use tiles but slate stuff.

Will get photos :) Before and after and keep you all updated.

Im semi not sure if I will do it with the previous place or completely take it out and start from scratch.

A swimming pool is constructed as that and includes pools for wading, swimming, paddling and a spa pool.

A goldfish pond is a goldfish pond and is not a swimming pool.

The Fencing of swimming Pools Act states in part. (see subsection © (ii)

Nothing in this Act shall apply in respect of—

(a) Any pool that has no part of the top of its side walls less than 1.2 metres above the adjacent ground level or any permanent projection from or object standing on the ground outside and within 1.2 metres of the walls, where the outside surface of the side walls is constructed so as to inhibit climbing and any ladder or other means of access to the interior of the swimming pool can be readily removed or rendered inoperable and is removed or rendered inoperable whenever it is intended that the pool not be used:

(b) Any excavation, structure, or product, in which the maximum depth of water does not exceed 400 mm:

© Any excavation, structure, or product,—

(i) That is not used in association with any house, home unit, apartment building, school, hospital, hotel, motel, camping ground, or other similar premises; and

(ii) That is not modified for use, or intended to be used, for swimming, wading, paddling, or bathing:

(d) Any pool intended to be used for wading or paddling in any place that is under the administration of a local authority:

(e) Any pool that is wholly enclosed within a building that is used principally for a purpose or purposes not related to the use of the pool:

(f) Any pool where—

(i) Persons are employed and present to provide supervision of the pool whenever the pool is available for use; and

(ii) Access to the pool is effectively prevented by a fence that complies with this Act or by locked gates or doors whenever the pool is not intended to be available for use.

The words mean what the words say and not what someone at the Local Council office thinks they say so make it as deep as it needs to be, but don't ring me if a child drowns in it.

A child can drown in 50mm of water.

In theory, It will actually be fenced / supervised as it is in my art cubby and its fenced within the dogs boundry around the back of the house and when Its fully finished I am getting a gate so she can't eat all of my stuff :)

And then when the gate is not closed I will be there anyways. That is a wee way down the track though. At the moment it is fenced so only household members can get to it as no one dares to come in with the dog :P

I've heard of several people that have been told that ponds DO have to be fenced if over 400mm.

I think this is why Alan said:

The words mean what the words say and not what someone at the Local Council office thinks they say...

It seems to be one of those grey areas that's left open to interpretation.

As for the purpose of the pool, I would have thought it would be just as easy for a child to drown in a 400mm pond as a 400mm paddling pool. In fact Caryl uses vessels that were 'designed' as paddling pools for the 'purpose' of fish ponds - so they are exactly the same object used for a different purpose.

I would imagine most of this would only matter in the tragic event of someone actually drowning in one of these water-filled vessels. So let's all promise to take all reasonable measures to keep our properties safe for children so we never have to defend ourselves in court!

My section is not fenced (well it is - but no gates). Luckily I am up a back section and no young children live near (until the 6 month old next door starts moving but they have gates at their place). I would be devastated if a child drowned in one of my ponds but am also against the fencing law. Seems stupid to me when we have 3 unfenced rivers (in which at least 3 children that I can think of have drowned) running through the middle of town. :roll:

We almost lost my son when he fell into my dad's goldfish pond (I thought he was with Grant and Grant thought he was with me - you know how it goes :-? ). The sides were slippery with algae and, at 18 months, he couldn't get his footing and was struggling face down in the water. We were lucky my mum saw him fall in and we hauled him out non the worse for wear but it was a close thing. I shook for hours afterwards! Didn't then fence the pond, just made sure we knew where he was at all times.

RochelleMay is your pond fenced with the dogs or separate from the dogs? Are they likely to go leaping into it? Not only might they break your fountain but they will scare the fish (and maybe eat one by accident)

Yeah I've heard dreadful stories about kids drowning in baths, ponds, even nappy buckets. It's just not safe to leave a kid unattended around water. I grew up in Taupo. I (almost) laugh to imagine that people in Taupo have to fence their swimming pools with that enormous swimming pool right there.

Sorry to take your thread off-topic, RochelleMay! :oops:

Carry on!

Oh its in the same area as the dog, We do have one big pond but I dont deal with that! :) Its full of Algae as it was neglected before we moved in so just getting around to making it nice now. '

THe dog is a Weimerana and is petrified of water, we have a pool and she stays well clear of it. and same with the big pond. I think shes scared of her water bucket to :P So she will not be a problem at all! ha. Shes not much of a hunting dog like shes suppose to be, only for our neighbours cats. But then when it comes to our cat she takes all the abuse he gives her. :D

Ha well it was a bitembaraasing taking photos of all the mud and leaves around their - cause its just been storage for renovations and un wanted doors and windows etc... So Will be taking first photos on wednesday and then progress from then on so of course will keep you all up to date :P