Fish Tank Stand - Metal or Wood???

fishandchips

Ok fishy friends,

I have a 600l tank that i want to get a stand made for, I have a decision to make, Wood or Metal.

I am very happy to make a wooden stand for the tank from the picture below

Fishtankframe.jpg

But i have a friend who is a fantastic welder and can get box steel from his work, he can create the stand from the picture below.

stand.jpg

I can buy the timber for about $150 and put it together for fairly cheaply, i can get all the steel for about $200. I think the wooden stand is over engineered but i dont really mind that.

So what do people think? I guess i would have to buy some paint to cover the metal so rust was not an issue but besides that i am stuck.

Help me make a decision please.

IMO go steel and get it painted in some descent paint it will last longer be stronger and be alot lighter :)

My steel stand is already showing signs of surface rust through the paint. Its the first and probably the last steel stand I'll own. I've made my own timber stands in the past, and will do so next time we move and transfer the 65' tank that is currently on a steel stand to a timber one.

There's few things I'd suggest though. Neither plan has any triangles. If you're going to screw ply onto it to cover it then don't worry as that will brace it. Second, what are the dimensions of your tank? If its made from 4x2, that stand looks crazy overkill for the size of the tank. My 5x2x2' was on a timber stand with six legs, and I notched the top of the legs to sit the horizontal support on.

My steel stand is already showing signs of surface rust through the paint. Its the first and probably the last steel stand I'll own. I've made my own timber stands in the past, and will do so next time we move and transfer the 65' tank that is currently on a steel stand to a timber one.

There's few things I'd suggest though. Neither plan has any triangles. If you're going to screw ply onto it to cover it then don't worry as that will brace it. Second, what are the dimensions of your tank? If its made from 4x2, that stand looks crazy overkill for the size of the tank. My 5x2x2' was on a timber stand with six legs, and I notched the top of the legs to sit the horizontal support on.

There is going to be plywood on the outside so should be sweet with bracing. The tank is 1500mmx760mmx600mm, i was thinking it was a bit overkill, especially after looking on some american sites and seeing what the put on four legs!

There is going to be plywood on the outside so should be sweet with bracing. The tank is 1500mmx760mmx600mm, i was thinking it was a bit overkill, especially after looking on some american sites and seeing what the put on four legs!

Extra wood is cheap insurance. Question is how it will hold up when there's a 6.9 earthquake.:) An extra $20 worth of 2X4s wouldn't be a bad thing.

Extra wood is cheap insurance. Question is how it will hold up when there's a 6.9 earthquake.:) An extra $20 worth of 2X4s wouldn't be a bad thing.

Diagonal bracing will be taking the load in an earthquake more than the 4x2 legs. If it doesn't have that then it doesn't matter how many legs its got.

Get it galv dipped, cheap as chips and it will out last the tank

• 2 weeks later...

im considering making a steel and wood stand, i thought brushed steel with a light varnished wood slats along the front and sides would be strong and look mean.

dont suppose you could use a waterproof paint or that polyurethane? paint over the steel? that would keep it waterproof right?

or other option you could go 18/10 stainless?? :P :lol:

• 3 weeks later...