Heater Position

BigFish

And if it's horizontal and near the bottom it won't come out of the water when you do a water change...Or I should say, if it would come out of the water otherwise. I just like to put mine horizontal along the bottom if possible, better circulation, etc. Depends mostly on where it's convenient, though. I doubt the difference in performance is anything that's going to matter.

• 2 weeks later...

If your heater is not in a strong flow area, sticking your heater straight up and down will cause it to turn on and off more and the tank will have a different temperature to sticking it sideways. Also the height of the heater will effect the temperature. The colder water is at the bottom of the tank and warmer at the top. In heavily planted tanks, the temperature in the tank can vary wildly from one end to the other and from top to bottom.

To keep a fairly constant temperature, put the heater in a high flow area and have some reasonable flow throughout the tank. Then it will not matter what orientation it is in.

You should however observe the maximum depth markings on the heater. A lot of heaters get water inside them because they are installed deeper than designed.

I wouldn't think the depth would matter in any tank you're likely to get inside a house. Even in a tall hexagonal tank the water pressure would only be somewhere around 4 PSI, if it leaks under that, it's not very well made, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Any well setup aquarium should have a reasonable water movement to begin with. I've got my heater on the righthand side near the u/g filter pipe. Blends with it. And futhermore my heater has a temperature setting, visible from the front. which is surprisingly quite accurate. The black powercord is also not as visible as it would be running all the way from the bottom up. I'm convinced that not one cubic inch in my aquarium differs more than .5 of a degree. Measured with my Dick Smith electronic Aquarium temperature gauge.

John

Try setting up a 2400x800x680mm (8' x 3' x 2.5') tank very densly planted. Move 6000L (1500gals) an hour through the filter and then see how much the temperature differs. You will be surprised to find over 3'C difference in some areas. The plants block much of the water flow in some areas and you're only left with convection flows.

In a barely planted tank it is not a problem as even light water movement will keep a very constant temperature.

Hi Warren

There are always exceptions. In your case I would add another heater to the location which requires more heat. The amount of wattage consumed should be the same, as the heaters switch off earlier

John

Just out of curiousity - how longer does a heater last???? Mine has been in the tank for 2.5 years. Should I replace it. When does one replace heaters. I use the thermastat controlled ones. a 100w for the smaller tank and two 150w for the discus tank (being afraid after an experience of a heater just failing and not warming the tank at all - the fish survived thanks to quick actions of hubby in doing water change and putting my spare heater in the tank - not bad for someone who does not like the fish LOL)

There is a discussion somewhere else in these forums about when you should replace heaters. Some say every year or so but they must have more $$$ than us :D

As a heater ages it gets less reliable. It also pays to have a spare on hand for emergencies.

I have a heater I have used for over 8 years and it is still going strong.

The heatpad under our tank has been going even longer.

Good to see you seem to have your multiple personalities (and password) sorted out :lol:

• 1 month later...