Fish show

jude

All sorts of stuff, fishy and non fishy will be auctioned. We won't know exactly what until the time but last auction saw fish, plants, live daphnia, books, filters, lights, really strong sellotape-like stuff, siphon pythons, heaterstats... umm... lots of other stuff. :D

There are also 2 retail pet store outlets and several food stalls at the show. The Saturday Dinner and Auction is for FNZAS Members and a limited number of their guests.

Hey everyone, where's all those entries. So far I've only got 17 fish entered. That means you'll get to look at 283 empty tanks! Come on, get those entries in lickety-split...

Hey Warren ... we want to enter some of our fish but cannot find the correct name for them. One is an Angelicus cat and the other is a Snowball. I have asked around and no one can help us and neither of them are in any of the books I have. Can we enter cold water fish as well? I would like to bring up some Leopards (again dont know there technical name) and some WCMM - both of which will then go to the auction. There will also be two of us for the meal while I think of it. Thanks heaps. If anyone else has any suggestions then please feel free to comment. I am sick of searching stuff and still not being 100% sure. I dont want to enter them wrong and be disqualified after risking bringing them.

Hi Cat,

if we're talking Leopard fish, the cold water livebearer then it's name is Phalloceros caudimaculatus.

For the Angelicus cat - if we're talking black with white spots, shaped like a feather-fin syno then it's Synodontis angelicus.

For the Snowball I assume it's some type of pleco, the one most commonly called this name is Hypancistrus sp. L102 (have a look here)

Yes, you can enter any type of fish (including coldwater).

There are also many other sections too, miniature tanks, medium tanks, planted tanks, novelty tanks.

The show is at the Seahorse Farm in Napier.

You don't have to go to the dinner to be at the auction. The auction starts at 7:00pm. You have to be a FNZAS member to attend the auction however.

Thanks for helping with the fish ID's Rob. I'm not the best at identifying fish, - not enough decent books.

Please remember, fish entered in the show, either being judged or not still need to be registered on the entry form by Wednesday the 22nd Sept. This is so we can organise the 200+ entries into groups by class etc. It's certainly not a matter of just turning up with fish...

Remember too, entering fish is free. The exhibitor of any fish gets into the show for free too (but only the exhibitor).

Here's the link again...

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/496.0.html

Thanks Rob ... I found some info on planetcatfish and this fish we have called a Snowball is what they call a Baryancistrus (photos seem to match). Should I enter it as that or Hypancistrus? It also has the Angelicus as a Syndodontis Angelicus. Is that what I should enter it as or is there another specific name for that? Thanks for the info on the cold water stuff as well.

I will put the entries in as soon as I have the correct details Warren. Really really want to get them entered correctly.

Thans

Hi Cat - I consider Planetcatfish to be one the best sources of info on catfish on the net so whatever info they have should be fine. For the snowball if they've got it as Baryancistrus sp. (the sp. just meaning that they're not sure of the exact species - often for plecos this is because the scientists have given it a species name yet) then I would also include the L number for it.