has anebody tried hypnosis to give up smoking?

spoon

• 2 months later...
you've got a 100% chance for success

If you buy a lotto tick you also have a 100% chance of winning :wink:

I smoked for about 15 years and read Allan Car's "Easy way to stop smoking". I highly recommend the book For me it made it easy to not smoke, which I did for a year, unfortunately I still wanted to smoke so started again. 5 years later and I was ready to give up, stopped cold turkey and haven't had one for about 15 months.

My point is the same as the others, first you have to REALLY REALLY want to stop cause no matter what method you use you body is going to be constantly telling you to start again. 15 months down and when I see people smoke a small part of me still wants to bludge a ciggy

If you buy a lotto tick you also have a 100% chance of winning :wink:

I smoked for about 15 years and read Allan Car's "Easy way to stop smoking". I highly recommend the book For me it made it easy to not smoke, which I did for a year, unfortunately I still wanted to smoke so started again. 5 years later and I was ready to give up, stopped cold turkey and haven't had one for about 15 months.

My point is the same as the others, first you have to REALLY REALLY want to stop cause no matter what method you use you body is going to be constantly telling you to start again. 15 months down and when I see people smoke a small part of me still wants to bludge a ciggy

hmmmmmm...... :roll: :roll: (need a devilish icon here)

Dozens of clinical trials show that Hypnosis is effective in reducing pain, anxiety and the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, however, according to reliable reviews by the The Cochrane Collaboration, it is not effective for smoking cessation, even though it is frequently promoted in this context - so, in short - no

See page 313 of "Trick orTreatment : Alternative medicine on trial" : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trick-Treatment ... 0593061292

Hang in there. You will give up smoking when you decide you REALY want to. Remind yourself every day how much better life is without fags and realy enjoy all the good aspects of being smoke free. This positive reinforcement is almost like self hypnosis. Remind yourself how great it is to taste your food and smell the flowers.

Dozens of clinical trials show that Hypnosis is effective in reducing pain, anxiety and the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, however, according to reliable reviews by the The Cochrane Collaboration, it is not effective for smoking cessation, even though it is frequently promoted in this context - so, in short - no

See page 313 of "Trick orTreatment : Alternative medicine on trial" : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trick-Treatment ... 0593061292

Are these double blind trials with all the proper control groups, placebo groups, etc?

well third day: so far so good, i havent even thought about having a smoke.

i have to say its worked for me well something has , even with patches or gum i still had major withdrawal and cravings i dont now and i dont have ane form of nicotine replacement. the guy who does the hypnosis reckons he has a 90% success rate , and like a lot of you have said he also said you have to want to give up 4 it to work.

fmxmatt(and others who are interested)

i was basically put in a small room comfortably heated with little else other than a lazyboy and aonther chair and a stereo with a set of headphones. he started by asking me why i smoked which lead on to explaining to me how im not gaining anething by smoking and the idea that it helps to relax etc is illusion therefore pointing out im not losing a friend by giving up. (very much like reading alan carrs easyway).

he then gave me a card to read out in my head and also aloud basically saying that i was going to be happy to be a nonsmoker and breathe clean air. well after 4 times reading it outloud a kind of euphoric effect came over me (bearing in mind i was quite skeptical and was not actually hypnotised at the time, words are powerful i guess) he told me it was good and that he has had some women break down and cry tears of joy.

he then made sure i was comfortable and put on a 45min cd and left the room turning the lights off. the cd was a recording of a "master hypnotist" whose sole job was freeing people from smoking. the cd started off with some basic relaxation (basically what i would call deep square breathing) there were waves crashing in the background and sorta nature noises as well i remember it telling me how cut flowers absorb ink when its but in a vase with the water but it poisons the flower and you can see it in the veins of the petals etc this was related to smoking somehow . i also remember being told about different states of relaxation and being told to close my eyes so tight they felt like they were glued shut (i did try but i couldnt open them! i was also told i may not remember concouisly what was said. (at the time i thought i would remember everything as i felt awake after i had this thought i was being told to wake up and have a stretch so actually i remeber about 5mins of the whole thing!

After the 45min cd he played a 4min "condensed" version of what was on the 45min cd which sound like a sped up version but it was meant to be understandble to the unconsies brain(aparently it wouldnt have mattered if i slept throught the whole thing)

after that i was congratulated on being a non-smoker and given a cd with an ocen scape (waves crashing and stuff) to listen to at home over the next couple of weeks 30mins long meant to contain subliminal messages to reinforce the change in perception havn't had a smoke since

who knows, might become a fish smoker :roll: :lol:

well ive got a fish smoker i chuck on the barbie (my brother is a commercial fisherman so get fresh stuff when i see him) a friend has offered to take me flyfishing as i live near a good place to fish . he didnt think i would want to as i keep fish, but i view trout as a pest exotic (things this forum does to you!)

so in short yes i mite be smoking some fish but i wont be spending ane money on it