My Neons are dying D:

Mini_Muphinz

And got my fish about 2 days ago and at around 5pm I noticed that 2 out of 5 of my Neon Tetras were missing so I had a little look. I found 1 dead Neon in the fake plant (???) and the other is yet to be found. I searched the whole tank, pretty much lifting everything and left empty handed (Except for the dead fish D:).

My Little fishies also share a tank with four guppies. Could they have eaten one?

I had another look at my fish a few hours ago and I noticed there are only 2!!! Again I searched to tank and I didn't find any. I also checked the filter/ bubbly thingy.

The tank has been used before and we cleaned the whole thing, the Neons had absolutely no scratches or cuts, or any signs of injury and when I checked on them when I woke up, they were fine!! Although they couldn't seem to find their food :/

Does anyone think they know what might be going on??? If yes, Please halp save my last 2 Neons!!

Thanks.

What size is the tank and how many guppies were in it? How long has it been set up?

How did you add the fish to the tank? Did you float the bag for a while then slowly mix the waters? Neons, IMO, are not the hardiest and die easily. If they had a sudden pH or temperature change that would do it.

I got them from Hutt Pet Central.

I washed the tank with cold water and my clean hands to get the dirt off. I didn't have a clean cloth. I didn't use soap because I didn't want to make them sick D: But I haven't washed it again yet because its only been 3 days since we got them.

I put the bag in the water and left it for about 1-2 hours. Then I opened the bag and gently let the fish out.

The tank is 13.2 gallons but we only used about 40L of water. We set it up 4 days ago. A little over a day before we got the fish.

There are 4 guppies.

So the tank hasn't been cycled?

Have a read of this thread at the top of the beginners section

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6979

It gives info and links about starting your tank, unfortunately the LFS is not always forthcoming with all the info you need

When adding new fish, float the bag for a while and then add a little of the water from your tank at a time so they not only acclimatise to the temp but also the water conditions.

PS You need to put something like danios or mollys in your tank. They are hardy fish that will get the bacteria in your tank developing. Add fish SLOWLY. Do your research and don't necessarily trust your local fish shop - sometimes they just want to sell you stuff! Z

bedazzled wrote:

When adding new fish, float the bag for a while and then add a little of the water from your tank at a time so they not only acclimatise to the temp but also the water conditions.

That is how I add new fishies. Hmmm, long time since I got any new fishies but that is how I did it too. Float them in the tank for at least, at least 15 minutes. Then every 5 minutes or so I'd add some tank water to the bag. After 15 minutes or so of adding tank water, I would net the fish out of the bag. Actually I hate netting them because I think it adds more stress but I never add water from where I purchased the fish from to the tank. Unless, of course, it's the first time adding any fish to the tank then it wouldn't matter.

And oh, it doesn't have to be exactly 15 minutes, 5 minutes...but no less then in order for the fish to acclimatize.

Caper