2x Fire Eels?

Fmxmatt

I'd quite like to keep 2 fire eels together, but i'm finding alot of conflicting info saying that they'll be fine, or that they wont get along. From experience with mixing marine Tangs and Angels (which alot of people say is a no-no) i've found out that it can be done, despite what some people say. Is it one of those things, that they may be 100% fine together, or they may just learn to hate each other?

Just one of those things that work for one and not another.

Find a couple as small as possible that are in the same tank in the lfs and go from there.

watch as they change shape and colour up and become hand feedable. make sure one doesnt doninate others.

There was a chap down this way that had several in a hex tank in his lounge ...was years ago...he might still have them like that but was no worries to his fire eels.

HTH

Navarre

Great info! Thanks :)

While on the subject of the eels, I know they like to dig into the substrate. Is it worth me buying some PVC pipe and create a tunnel or 2 under the substrate for them to hide in, or are they likely to ignore it and make their own?

You can do pipe thing but I never did.

One thing to note however is that eels hunt and dig with their noses so if you have large or sharp substrate you run the risk of them damaging the nose part (probiscus?). if that happens well you can just about jelly the things. So if you are going to set up a specific tank IMHO you should use small fine gravel that is rounded and deep...say 6-10 cm.

Also be carefull when vaxing tank not to crush the eels. I had largeish root style lumps of stumps on the subsrate surface and found the eels would curl around them...little eniromental enriching...lol

HTH

Navarre

• 4 weeks later...
Great info! Thanks :)

While on the subject of the eels, I know they like to dig into the substrate. Is it worth me buying some PVC pipe and create a tunnel or 2 under the substrate for them to hide in, or are they likely to ignore it and make their own?

Fire eels do like a piece of PVC, I find mine uses it about half the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey ya.

Currently I have got 4 small eels together in one tank. A fire eel, tyre track eel, zebra eel, and a peacock eel. all around 10cm and getting on fine.

Have been told also fire eels do not like other fire eels, in my tank the fire and tyre track share the inside of a bubbler filter and the other peacock and zebra have been seen to share a cave.

Interesting to see what will happen when all get bigger as my friend said her small trye track eel waster her bigger fire eel.

:wink: