What can I get thats "different"?

Fmxmatt

So I have the option to setup a Freshwater tropical tank of about 200 litres until I'm able to look at marine again (could be a year or 2)

Quite keen on the idea of having a couple of eels, and a couple of oddball, not so common fish. Maybe a couple of freshwater puffers? Black Knife Fish?

Having been focusing on Marine for the past couple of years, I'm not really sure what freshwater species are available in NZ, or whats compatible with what.

Say I was going to look at 1 or 2 eels, what species of eel are worth considering, and what can go with them that wont get destroyed?

Working with a clean slate here, so can consider anything :)

As for Tank Size, I think its about 3 and a half foot, and as for them getting too big, they could end up in my 5ft tank (520 litres) as of yet, my old marine is in the garage, waiting for a place to put it (new house one day), and a crack in the bottom to be fixed (doh! :cry: )

Whats the facination with Killifish? Are they quite aggressive etc? Colour?

I've considered Ciclids also, which is another option :)

As for Tank Size, I think its about 3 and a half foot, and as for them getting too big, they could end up in my 5ft tank (520 litres) as of yet, my old marine is in the garage, waiting for a place to put it (new house one day), and a crack in the bottom to be fixed (doh! :cry: )

Whats the facination with Killifish? Are they quite aggressive etc? Colour?

I've considered Ciclids also, which is another option :)

um, colour, how they breed. Come take a look if you like. Can also sort out that other problem.

I'm just baiting the killie nuts... :P

Even the smaller poly's (senegals are about the only commonly available one) will get too big for that tank, although how soon would depend on the overall dimensions. A senegal, a ctenopoma and an african butterfly fish with a school of congo tetras would make an interesting african-themed tank...

• 2 weeks later...