Night fishing at White's Bay

Caryl

We went with our torches to see what we could see. We saw lots of fish, glow worms and wetas. We didn't see any eels or carnivorous land snails.

Have a look here to see what we got up to.

If anyone can name the fish that would be good. I think the pair are whitebait.

Wow, awesome!

I used to live in Blenheim and was always out at Whites bay, once I spotted what I thought was a catfish in there. Clearly that cannot be the case, but I'm pretty sure it had barbels of some sort ;s!

I never knew they could have Kokupu in there, that's incredible!

The bigger fish looks like a Shortjawed Kokopu - http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/freshwater/fishatlas/species/inanga

They are also a species of Whitebait.

The smaller pair look like Inanga - http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/freshwater/fishatlas/species/inanga

Those are the most common Whitebait species.

This is only my guess though - The Niwa site has good info on on the various fish.

Stella will probably see the thread and have a better idea exactly what they are.

Ian

AWESOME! Looks like you had great success!!

The first photo is probably Dolomedes aquaticus, water spider in the same family as the nursery web spider. Neat little critters that will surf down the stream to escape you.

I love the photo of the kids by the stream! Very good record of the day :)

The third photo could be a banded kokopu. It is kinda hard to tell but I think a shortjaw of that size would be more mottled. The bands are there along the lateral line but fade out pretty significantly top and bottom. Undoubtedly a kokopu and definitely not a giant kokopu.

The fourth photo is definitely a banded kokopu. I would say much larger and older as the bands are finer and more concentrated towards the tail. Also notice how the fish is much broader. Definitely older and bigger.

Fish in the net also looks rather bandedy....

Number seven is also a banded....

The eighth photo of the pair of fish could well be inanga. Partly there are no markings, partly the darker head patch, but also they are long and thin, whereas small bandeds like this are much shorter and often yellower (but any fish lightens with stress and buckets).

It is one thing to look at the fish for an ID, but looking at the habitat is extremely important. The photos clearly show slow medium-width streams with forest cover and organic stuff in the water (leaves and soil) and the water is probably a bit amber with tannin. Spot on for banded kokopu. Shortjaws would be in fast flowing, clear streams with lots of big rocks and big hiding places between the rocks.

Bandeds are not on the threatened species list, but probably close. Shortjaw and giant kokopu are on it, gradual decline category.

Anyway, VERY special fish to see on your first spotlighting trip! Bandeds were one of my last fish to see in the wild.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wow, awesome!

I used to live in Blenheim and was always out at Whites bay, once I spotted what I thought was a catfish in there. Clearly that cannot be the case, but I'm pretty sure it had barbels of some sort ;s!

I never knew they could have Kokupu in there, that's incredible!

There are some Brown bullheads spread around NZ waterways

Thanks Stella. That group of kids has me in it too :wink: I am the one at the left.

To me the fish in 3 and 4 looked like the same species, at the time we were observing them, so we will go with banded kokopu.

We also thought the pair were most likely inanga.

We had such great fun and plan to go again in April as a fish expert from DOC will be available then (she is currently in Antarctica) to take us on a guided trip. I am sure all who went this time will be willing to go again (just about had to drag some of them away as it was) and a good opportunity for those who missed the first outing.

As well has hunting out native fish, it was low tide so we were able to get around to the rockpools and have a poke around in them, then we searched the nearby caves for dragons and vampire bats (great disappointment when we found neither).